Fanfic Author, former English and Geometry Teacher, Self-Published Novelist, Self-Promoter who is, nonetheless, yet to seriously look into a literary agent for his novels. I've sent novels and manuscripts to dozens of agents the last year and a half, but always feel like I could do more.
From the Author: This is written in first person so that people can be aware that I wrote it about myself and thus be aware that this is a personal view.
If someone else writes something about me, I'll leave it untouched, but I want my statements recognized as my statements. At least on my profile page. I want people to know that I said it and it isn't just something guessed at. Whether a particular comment is seen as positive or negative, I don't want there to be doubt on this page as to what is something that I've said about myself.
Also note, I tend to use sites like this as sounding boards, hence why there's a lot of cases where I've troped myself or my works. Even before discovering T Vtropes.org, I found it was a good exercise to take a look at my own works and self and thus take an accounting of the sort of things I am prone to do. I can then make an informed decision of whether or not I wish to continue in that vein or if it is something I am not happy with.
Read this page as a sort of me talking at myself rather than other people. I'm not trying to tell people how great I am. I'm trying to get a reasonable look at what exactly I am and what I do.
I do use it for promotion, being a shamelsess self-promoter. I say shameless, not really true, I don't enjoy promotion. I don't like the fact that some aspect of me now sees my fanfic as advertising for my original stuff. But I sort of have to promote myself since there's currently no one else to do it.
Note to would-be self-publishers: realize, agents do not like to deal with previously published materials.
If you are self-publishing seriously, be prepared to arrange your own events and spend an hour or more a day trying to find ways of spreading awareness of your stuff. All the advice I have from professional writers says not to wait until you're popular to run book signings and the like. Those book signings are to make people know you exist.
Because unless you start doing well, the fact that you self-published a particular book means you are likely to have to keep self-publishing for a long while yet.
- Personal and Business Web Page
- Deviant Art Page
- Wiki (Unfinished)
- Fanfiction Page
- Lulu Storefront
- Posts in Anime Addventure by Page (Usually Obsolete, AA updates that slowly)
I have written several original works including:
- Bystander a somewhat Superhero-ish novel
- Greenwater a serial storyline set in a non-standard High Fantasy world setting.
- The Lamia stories for VampYou.com.
- Accidental Vampires for the forums in VampYou.com
- Choices and Consequences
- Assorted Other Original Settings
I have developed and runs game world settings for various conventions including:Bystander world as well.
I've written fanfiction for:
Tropes associated with "Thrythlind"
- Action Girl: Not me, being male, but usually a main or at least important character of my stories.
- Agnosticism: Not quite, but this is the closest I could find on the religious tropes page. I enthusiastically believe God exists. I also believe that all religions has at least a piece of the truth and that God is behind many if not all of them. I also accept the possibility of other entities that have previously been mistaken for supernatural entities. I do not believe this disproves the existence of God, just that there may be more sentients/mortals out there. I am also aware that I could be wrong. I just don't believe I am.
- Still predominately Catholic
- Angels, Devils and Squid: Given that I would recognize all three groups as segments of other basically mortal creatures that are simply more powerful/advanced that we are...yes.
- Applicability: I am a firm believer in this philosophy of writing.
- Badass Normal: Robles family motto, not yet shown in Bystander runs as: "Preparation Trumps Power, Skill Trumps Preparation, Will Trumps Skill"
- This is kind of the way he runs most of his stories.
- Basement-Dweller: If I'm writing a story, I have a keen view of society and interactions. Add him to a real-world picture and he turns into a reclusive hermit who would rather be locked alone in his apartment during his freetime.
- Christianity: I am very much a believer in Jesus Christ
- Christianity Is Catholic: I was raised Catholic, it kind of shows.
- Crisis of Faith: Something I enjoy using.
- Dark Is Not Evil: I firmly believe that nothing is inherently evil and that morality is a function of intent and choice rather than ability.
- Devil, but No God: I will have great evils within my stories and great good beings as well. But my powerful good spirits won't be God and won't claim to be. The closest one of my stories will get to having God around is having a character theorize that God might has been looking out for them, but that will always be a case of an character belief. I do believe that God inspires me to write, I had a flippant, tongue-in-cheek way to say this, but can't remember that now.
- I do not write "Kami-sama" from OhMyGoddess as God.
- The Evils of Free Will: Some of my villains are motivated by this.
- FaithHeel Turn: I do have some villains that used to be or still are believers but has become either disillusioned or turned toward questionable means.
- And there's Lady Adrasteia, from Zodiacs, who knows she's damned and that she's eventually doomed to punishment in the after life, but feels her vengeance against her brother was worth the loss of her soul...despite knowing that she's doomed and all she can do to is stall for more time, she is now operating on the idea of "you can only be damned once" and will take such extreme measures as sacrificing the lives of former villains, whom she covertly encouraged to redeem themselves in order to power a ritual to extend her lifespan.
- Fantasy: What I write (mostly).
- Girls' Love: Some of my fiction plays with this. But it is rarely the main aspect of my stories.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Will admit to this. However, I mostly plays this for laughs and I usually try to limit on screen making out as it tends to strike me as wasted space.
- Half-Human Hybrid: I like having half-species
- HeelFaith Turn: Also something I play with
- Interspecies Romance: See above.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: This is also often a central character.
- Magitek: I tend to go with the "sufficiently advanced technology" idea.
- Light Is Not Good: Just like nothing started evil, anything with a will can become evil.
- Psychic Powers: Another thing I tend to think could be a source of "magic"
- Raised Catholic: As stated above.
- Screw Destiny: I love this trope.
- Shameless Self-Promoter: At least until I can pay someone else to do it for me and I can get back to reading other people's stuff again!
- Sliding Scale of Free Will vs. Fate: I tend toward types 3-5. God, of course, is omniscient and so sees all possible futures and pasts, but I don't equate God knowing his future with lacking Free Will.
- Tropes Are Not Bad: see here
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: I really enjoy shapeshifting characters.
- Wu Xia: My action sequences are sometimes guided by this genre.
- Yuri Fan: Yep, admitted. I much prefer romance to have a plot to it.