Allow me to introduce myself. I am The Nerf Guy. I am a simple nerd who enjoys what he likes best.
I go by other names as well. On Fanfiction.net, Gaia Online, and a few others I can't remember, I am called Kadaj5 (sometimes shortened to Kada). On Deviant Art, I am called Nobody-Kadaj. Devpro = NeoKadaj. Dueling Network = Commonsteve.
As you can see, I'm a fan of the name "Kadaj". I've personally taken it as my own internet name nowadays but I have not forgotten its origins.
I am an occasional writer who can only upload to FFN and DA at the moment, and even then I don't have too many fans. I have an Archive of Our Own account, but I have yet to really do anything there. I'll most likely use that site to upload chapters that I can't post on ffn.
I do watch several shows, but my interests tend to be more limited and focused.
My DA account currently has a series of ongoing sporkings. So far, they're only against one author total, but I'll delve into other authors eventually.
Anime I watch:
- Fushigiboshi no★Futagohime
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Ojamajo Doremi
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Tropes that I play straight, zigzag, or downplay:
- Author Tract: Most of the longer entries on my page.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Usually when I start a task that I'm not familiar with, I can't do it too well. However, after a few tries or even one and/or seeing how it's done, I will almost always be able to do it almost autonomously.
- Berserk Button: Several.
- I can't stand people who lie to make themselves look big. I do not like people who would use disabilities to be jerkasses. I'm none to fond of lying and I will usually avoid outright lying when I can.
- Anyone who steals for their own personal gain. People have stolen stuff from me in the past, and I know the feeling all too well. I especially hate thieves who would steal from those who called said thieves their friend. To me, those people are even worse.
- I can't say I'm too fond of people who agree to follow a set of rules only to completely ignore them. To me, those people are being dishonest. The worst of those people would be those who make excuses to justify their rule-breaking.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: I am smart and capable, but I tend to lay around more often than not.
- Catch-Phrase: I tend to say "to elaborate" when I begin adding details.
- Deadpan Snarker: I have my moments when I reply with sarcasm.
- Exact Words: I am a HUGE fan of using this trope. When I say something, I always try to mean every word right down to the definition.
- Fatal Flaw: My pride, arrogance, laziness, and my tendency to hold grudges. To elaborate, pride plays an important role in making me a bit shortsighted and it feeds into my arrogance. My laziness often keeps me from doing what I need to do, and my tendency to hold grudges will likely be my undoing at some point in the future.
- Freudian Excuse: Growing up, I was bullied because of my small stature and insecure nature and seen as an easy target. Several times, when I asked people who have authority to deal with it, they did nothing. When I decided to deal with it myself, I got punished no matter who started the altercation. To my knowledge, the other person almost always got off scott-free. This ridiculous aesop that "it's only wrong when you do it" ultimately made me the vindictive jerkass I am today.
- Genre Savvy: I am familiar with a lot of storylines and cliches and know how to act in such situations. Also, each time I get on Tv Tropes, I always open two other tabs: one for Ask The Tropers and the other for the Edit Banned/Suspended thread. The former allows me to see the queries and what people are publicly reporting while the latter allows me to study and learn from the mistakes of those who got suspended.
- Grammar Nazi: Downplayed. Though I will sometimes take action to correct issues in grammar, I will sometimes ignore it. The latter case usually means I wasn't aware that the grammar was faulty OR because I overlooked it.
- Guilty Pleasures: EVERYONE has these too, so don't bother denying them. Of course, everyone's free to keep them concealed, but people will get curious and begin asking. I will reveal mine: Various Magical Girl animes that are for young girls, most notably Ojamajo Doremi and Fushigiboshi no★Futagohime. The former I got into because of 4Kids and a desire to compare their dub with the original. I got interested in the latter just to give a proper critique on a story written by a friend of mine; the story in question crossed it with Bio Shock, of all things AND helped me get into the franchise.
- Hypocrite: EVERYONE is hypocritical about something. No exceptions. And I defy anyone to PROVE that they subvert/avert/downplay/etc. this trope ALL THE TIME when they say they subvert/avert/downplay/etc! One way I play this trope straight is that I'm not really too fond of arrogant people...and I'm arrogant myself.
- Insufferable Genius: I know for a fact that I'm smart, and I can say that I am damn proud of it. However, I am also arrogant, which puts me into this trope.
- Insult Backfire: There are things that people can insult others with that I will simply take as a compliment.
- Jerk Ass: When someone gets on my bad or ugly side, I can be quite antagonistic to people, though I try to limit it to those who have wronged me in a way.
- No Social Skills: I have a tendency to insult people when I'm trying not to and I tend to shy away from social gatherings. I'm currently working on this.
- Rule of Funny: My user name here as well as on Dueling Network were built around this trope. I find the former to be inherently amusing while the latter has garnered a few laughs every now and then.
- Rules Lawyer: I try to be the Lawful Good version. Hell, I even give my opponents tips via the rules so as to help improve their style. Also, anyone who tries to insult me with this trope will find themselves on the receiving end of Insult Backfire in addition to getting mocked.
- Self-Deprecation: Any time I admit my faults, it is this trope. However, if I didn't admit to my faults, how would I be able to overcome them?
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: I tend to use larger words in my sentences than most people. However, I understand a lot about those words. It does interfere in my social skills, though, and it is ultimately another means of expressing my arrogance.
- Troll: When I want to be, I can be quite disruptive and insulting to others, and I have had a bit of training courtesy of other Trolls.
- You Are What You Hate: A lot of what I despise is something I have or had at some point.
Tropes I subvert:
- Hypocrite: I have come to the conclusion that everyone plays this trope straight, subverts, and averts it the same time. Reason? There are many things people can be hypocritical about. I can subvert this trope in one regard (among several) when I call someone out on something I have disdain for; that automatically gives the impression that I am a practitioner of whatever I calling people out on. For example, I am none too fond of people making Alicorn ponysonas, which would imply that I make them myself. I don't. My ponysona is an Earth Pony.
I don't really need to list tropes I avert, though special mention goes to Hypocrite, seeing as anyone and everyone can play straight, subvert, and avert hypocrisy at the same time. I avert it in some ways whenever I don't call someone out on something that I am not.