I'm also the curator for the Magnificent Bastard "So You Want To" page, as I have been for a while.
I go by SolidSocialistShiba on Archive of Our Own, and all my works can be found here, though much credit for the others is owed to my partner BumbleCade. We typically write fanfic of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (Typically with a focus on my goth boy Hordak) but I personally have also dabbled in other fandoms, most notably striking latest with Destinies of Remnant, a What If? anthology set to go eight chapters.
I have a certain fixation on tropes— particularly Villain Tropes. More on them in the folders below. I like to think of real life in trope terms as a coping mechanism for my anxiety.
- Ambiguous Disorder: While I'm fairly confident I don't have a neurological disorder and have never been diagnosed, there's many, many potential disorders I've been examined for by friends. All I know for certain is that I'm prone to anxious breakdowns, extreme fixations on certain things, typically pieces of media, and I'm a serious Mood-Swinger.
- Author Appeal: You can tell what I've gotten into lately by what ends up in my stories. Most notably and consistently, I am far more interested in villains than heroes.
- Berserk Button:
- I like things to go my way. Deviations from my intention are not fine.
- Do not insult my anxiety. Jokes about it are fine but the second things get into insult-slinging territory, I'm not having it.
- Anyone who knows me knows that you don't ever edit my work. The "Suggestion" tool exists for a reason. I'm welcome to ideas on improvement, and I've learned to take criticism, but anyone who goes straight to editing my work earns my ire.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Well, "smart" but lazy. I've been praised for my talents in multiple things... on the rare occasions I exercise them.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Kinda subverted? I'm not a "villain" by any means, though I can be an arrogant jerkass on a bad day. That said, my mannerisms, method of speaking, and music I listen to are traditionally in the "villain" category; which makes sense, because many of them are copied straight from fictional villains!
- Control Freak: I like things to go my way. When things do not go my way, I tend to lose it. While I'm working on it even now, I'm generally acknowledged as a Control Freak by others.
- Evil Is Cool: The image I present. It's completely at odds with my actual personality, mind you, but I can make being a villain (or at least a contrarian prick) look damn fun. To quote myself on the matter:
I was going to say "not to play devil's advocate," but we all know that would be a lie...
- Finger-Tenting: Prone to it as a natural pose, actually! I often conceal my expressions through my fingers since my face is very expressive.
- The Hedonist: Is it fun? Is it something most people would enjoy? Well, hot damn; I'm probably in! That said, I've got some rules: I don't drink, my personal business is my own, and I'm not about to trigger one of my many Weaksauce Weakness deals.
- Large Ham: Since I have a theater background from my youth, I tend to go all-in on anything that requires acting out of me.
- Mood-Swinger: Of a mostly depressive sort. I can go from overjoyed with the world to despondent in seconds. Worst case scenario tends to be that I mood-swing directly into one of my anxious breakdowns.
- Nervous Wreck: Prone to anxious breakdowns. It's complicated and nobody's quite sure why, including me. This can either come about willingly due to emotionally heated moments, or completely unwillingly.
- The Slacker: Don't expect me to be doing work if I don't have to. For all you know, I was supposed to be working when I made this page!
- Weaksauce Weakness: Part of the reason behind my Nervous Wreck nature is that I have a body that is very easy to mess up pretty badly. This has led me to stricter habits for the most part. Annoying and restrictive, but it's better than living in constant pain and stress.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Subverted Trope in High School. I was told I wrote like a Grad Student, which I would agree that I can do... except I'm not actually inclined to, even today.
- Badass Cape: Sorry, Edna, but I'm a style over substance man and capes are stylish.
- Badass Longcoat: Call me cliche, but a proper coat can make anything look cool. Doubly so when they come off.
- Character Development: Hit me with that good shit when it comes to this. Characters should develop, not devolve. A static character can be valuable though.
- The Chessmaster: But of course! A character who can plot is a most fun sort!
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: I've studied Iaijutsu passingly, and can safely say it's one of my favorite visuals in the world.
- Man of Wealth and Taste: Nothing more fun than a classy bastard.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Of a certain sort. I generally like the trope if it's used to show mental instability, but going too far with it will make me roll my eyes. Generally I think it fits nicely with The Berserker.
- Tragic Villain: The most interesting sort of villain is often one the audience can't help but sympathize with.