- Mr. Eight-Three-One: Hello, everybody! I am Mr. Eight-Three-One!Eto: And I'm his better part!Mr. 831: Eto? What are you doing here?Eto: I'm providing what the viewers actually want to see!Mr. 831: Get Out!!
I go by two identities on the Internet (well...kinda. That's sorta not the case anymore), and that's no secret. On this part of the Internet, I'm far more often known as Mr. Eight-Three-One. What does the number 831 mean? Absolutely nothing. No, really. It means nothing at all.
As Mr. 831, my primary Internet presence is recording and uploading videos to You Tube of old computer games. I also have occasionally joined discussion forums on other areas of the Internet and it's pretty much what I represent myself as when I'm being a more mundane old human being. I used to be legoking831 (juvenile, I know), and was what I used to be on this site until I finally migrated. Oh yeah, and I contribute to this site. That's what this page is for, right? To talk about what I contribute? Nah, it's also gonna be a trope sheet for my identities because screw you, it's my page and I'll do what I want.
As Eto Tooncat, I'm a much more bouncy energetic member of the Furry Fandom. A bit of a Cloud Cuckoo Lander and Screwy Squirrel who is oblivious to some of the antics I cause merely because, well, it's funny.
The two personalities are nearly yin and yang and as such I treat them as completely separate entities. Most people who know me on one side don't know a thing about the other, and vice versa.
The identity I go by depends on numerous factors. Mr. Eight-Three-One usually takes precedence on sites that aren't predominantly furry-oriented (You Tube, media-related forums, Reddit, Mobygames, TV Tropes), and Eto gets used for sites where I'm around furries more often than not. In very rare cases I'll make an account for both (Twitter, Discord).
Tropes, YMMV items, and Trivia that pertain to Mr. Eight-Three-One:
- Asexual: I am one of these.
- Arc Number: 831 obviously, but 486 is the other number I tend to bring up often (it was the CPU in the first computer I ever used).
- Artifact Title: Nearly all of my Internet names have suffered this to some degree.
- Legoking831: The exact reason I revile this name so much is not only because of how juvenile it is, it also has little if anything to do with my interests these days, as I got out of the Lego stage quite a long time ago.
- HumongousSoundtracks (now known as Humongous Fan Soundtracks): Subverted. Due to me losing my ability to upload longer than 15 minutes on my main account, I had to work around it by uploading any >15-minute videos on this channel instead, which means there ended up being videos on the account that had nothing to do with Humongous game soundtracks. This has long past though since I now have the unlimited length ability back, so it no longer qualifies.
- ARemoteAndRandomName: The identity of this channel isn't kept secret anymore, so the name no longer holds any meaning.
- Asperger's Syndrome: Believe it or not, yes.
- Author Appeal:
- I could not make my obsession with Humongous Entertainment more obvious.
- With all my old computers, the one I prize the most is my old 486.
- Berserk Button: Asking where to download a game illegally is a good way to get me to chew you out. Mainly because my rule of thumb is not uploading a video of a game until I own an actual copy of it (subverted with Monkey Island EGA, due to reasons stated in said video's description).
- Canon Foreigner: A few friends that know me as a furry have inadvertently ended up over here, where they discover I'm sometimes much more geeky and intellectual.
- When starting a narrated video, "Hello everybody, this is Mr. Eight-Three-One..."
- When ending a narrated video, "Goodbye everybody!"
- Christianity: Born and raised!
- Creator Backlash: "No, I am not ready to le". A video that consistently got a high amount of attention even though from my view it's one of the least original and least funny "Lego Island gets broken" videos around. I even tried removing it at one point but when people took to reposting it, I put it back up and disabled comments. Eventually I deleted the video altogether out of sheer frustration.
- Deadpan Snarker: Most definitely.
- Doing It for the Art: I overtly refuse to make any money off of my You Tube videos, on the grounds that it is morally wrong to make money off of something that I didn't actually make. I have even turned down every offer to make money off my videos.
- Dork Age: Went through several of these, but my Humongous game Let's Plays were a particularly awkward era, hence the reason most of them can no longer be found.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Before settling on classic computer game archival, I did Let's Plays, game music (which ultimately got relegated to a second channel called HumongousSoundtracks, now Humongous Fan Soundtracks), game reviews (which are now an Old Shame), and I made at least a few other kinds of videos before finally deciding on what I wanted to do. The only videos I do now that aren't walkthroughs are old computer videos, which is my trademark hobby.
- Failed a Spot Check: In my JumpStart 3rd Grade walkthrough, there's a point in the kitchen where I completely overlooked a helium tank which was one of the ingredients asked for. Since I couldn't exactly edit the mistake out, I decided to laugh at myself by adding dialogue to the tank in the form of video text.
- Gosh Dangit To Heck: I have a thing for not swearing.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: A huge reason my channel exists, actually. Many of the games I try posting are near impossible to find or difficult to run on modern computers.
- Old Shame: My old "reviews" and to a lesser extent, my Let's Play videos. The former much more so, as I pretty much refuse to acknowledge they ever existed. In addition, my old username; thus far, it only remains on one site I still regularly use (The Cutting Room Floor), unless you also count Roblox (which I sure don't like to).
- Schedule Slip: My upload schedule is pretty nonexistent. I will have some months where I'm crazy active and others where I do nothing for extended periods of time.
- Quite often, even in my walkthroughs. One example was adding dialogue to a helium tank in my JumpStart 3rd Grade walkthrough completely chastising myself for Failing a Spot Check.
- For a while my Mastodon profile even said "I'm an uninteresting person and you will probably get bored with my geeky ramblings."
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life: I don't hang out here as often as I used to, but during high school, OH MY GOSH. This site was a time sink for all of my free time once I registered during freshman year, and I made a pretty huge amount of contributions, creating and expanding several pages.
Items pertaining to Eto Tooncat:
- Acting for Two: For the fun of it, I'll often portray Mr. 831 and Eto as different people.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Well, I mean, I am a yellow and orange cat. And the most pronounced shades of such too.
- Ambiguously Evil: Sort of. I wouldn't say I'm a villain, but sometimes I don't always set my own boundaries well which can lead to me acting on what I think would be funny without much consideration for the morality of it. There are also times I don't show regret over my actions (for instance, if I drop an anvil and it leaves a hole in the ceiling of the apartment below me).
- Anvil on Head: You don't say.
- Arc Number: 831, for reasons you can guess.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Annoying me enough can push me over the edge.
- Canon Immigrant: Several friends that knew me as Mr. 831 winded up on this side. This has also occasionally worked in the other direction.
- Catchphrase: "I'm just a silly tooncat!"
- Cats Hate Water: Averted, I don't mind water at all, much to the shock of everyone else.
- Character Development: Quite a bit of it. In my early days in the fandom I started out as incredibly easy to annoy, the person that everyone liked to push the buttons on. I got tired of this shtick though so I slowly mellowed my character out to the point where he's now cheerful more often than not, but sometimes a bit too much for his own good; sometimes it crosses over into the territory of Ambiguously Evil, but well-intentioned most of the time.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: The main development of my character is that I'm an overly cheerful person who seems quite friendly on the surface, but I also have a somewhat twisted sense of humor that tends to involve laughing at others when they end up in mishaps, and I'm not above lodging some subtle Take Thats at others. Of course I'm also really easy to annoy, though that trait has been toned down significantly over the years.
- Cuddle Bug: YES.
- Deadpan Snarker: Of the more cheerful kind. To name one example, someone saying they're not cute tends to get some insults from me for why you're being a Cliché Storm.
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: Averted, I can't die at all. Unless you bring out Dip.
- Discredited Meme: The pink joke, since it got unbelievably overused and reduced my character to a one-track joke, and also undermined something that actually was special to me (my trademark color being yellow). In addition, interpreting my rocket avatar on my other account a different way (the term "red rocket" is a euphemism in the fandom for Exotic Equipment). In general I'm not a huge fan of memes due to their lack of creativity.
- Early Installment Weirdness: A lot. My character used to be much more cynical and grouchy before I made him a Cloud Cuckoo Lander. The Deadpan Snarker trait was toned down though still crops up from time to time, at least. Some of the running jokes from years past, like the pink joke and "I'm not cute" can also be seen as this. Giggling also took a little while to set in.
- Furry Denial: I don't act the least bit like a cat aside from purring. Much of this stems from my inspiration of western cartoons — many of the Looney Tunes, for instance, don't act much like the animals they are.
- Furry Fandom: ...Mmhmm.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Happens very, very, very rarely, but every time it happens, it prompts an O.O.C. Is Serious Business reaction because of how rarely I ever make such jokes. Technically subverted since there really is no "radar" to begin with, but we'll say it's my own radar.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: How I'm typically seen. This is attributed to a number of reasons: the general easy-going nature of myself, my enforcement of Gosh Dang It to Heck!, my lack of Getting Crap Past the Radar humor, my refusal to be openly lustful, and a lot of other smaller things that add up to this sort of reputation.
- Luminescent Blush: Yep.
- Mythology Gag: "Eto" comes from the first letters of my non-furry alias (Mr. Eight-Three-One).
- Non-Fatal Explosions: Least, I think they're non-fatal anyway...want this bouquet of dynamite?
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Any time I make a Getting Crap Past the Radar joke. ANY TIME.
- Rule of Funny: Why do I do any of the things I do? Because it's funny.
- Screwy Squirrel: Hey, wouldn't it be funny if I just did all sorts of despicable things to you for literally no reason at all? ...no? I'll take that as "no problem!"
- Signature Laugh: See Verbal Tic.
- Species Surname
- Squashed Flat: Oh, brother...
- Take That!: Occasionally happens to (in my eyes) Acceptable Targets. Most commonly occurs if you're being a Cliché Storm or if you're posting a meme.
There are two kinds of people in this world, people with a sense of humor, and people who repeat memes.
- Toon Physics: Of course.
- Verbal Tic: Giggling. I giggle pretty much any time I speak.
- Zany Cartoon