DmM is based in the Republic of Ireland. He does not have red hair, hates potatoes and is completely incompetent at talking as Gaeilge. His interests include alternative rock, literary sci-fi and fantasy, physics and medieval history. He has won awards for political journalism and was once retweeted by Rhianna Pratchett.
Tropes that apply to DmM:
- And The Fandom Rejoiced: he was among that fandom for the unveiling of Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood and when the news broke that Joss Whedon would be directing The Avengers.
- Ascended Fanboy: he spent a very long time browsing the wiki before he felt he had something that might be worth saying, at which point he joined up.
- Badass Longcoat: He owns one, but isn't convinced he can carry it off...
- Catchphrase: "You are a deeply weird person...", "Actually, [insert name of historian/physicist/Terry Pratchett here] says that..." and "Ok, you see that tree over there? No, not that one, the one on the horizon... I'm closer to that tree than I am to caring about your relationship problems" (Note: That last one is an obscure in-joke among friends. DmM does care about your relationship problems. Probably.) He has also been know to quote Snape in Goblet of Fire: "Fascinating as your social lives undoubtedly are..."
- Deadpan Snarker: He has been told he makes Kimball Cho seem like an aversion of this trope. Make of that what you will.
- Genius Ditz: Well, ditz with good grades, anyway... Oh look, Nargles!.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Heck, he's (kinda) Irish after all...
- Large Ham Radio: Give a loudmouthed former debater a college radio show, and this is pretty much inevitable.
- Oireland: Averted. With a vengeance.
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: Was a competitive debater at both secondary school and university level. It left some... ingrained habits.
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky
- The Mean Brit: An angry ball of snark by nature, British by place of birth and accent.