A 20-ish college student, amateur writer (one novella and a dozen short stories done, working on a longer novel) who stumbled across the TVTropes wiki and hasn't made it out since. Has an annoying habit of having story ideas fabricate themselves in his subconscious and then use brain-processing bandwidth to automagically refine and expand upon them, normally when he's preoccupied with something else. So he's really not so much writing from scratch as merely dictating. And he thinks he should stop referring to himself in the singular third person.
I mostly read, and have made only a handful of additions so far. My (one) minor claim to fame so far is having started the page that later was retitled Suzumiya Haruhi No Yuutsu, though, needless to say, it's changed a few (dozen) times.
Ah, well, Causa finita est.
He would also like to plug his personal website, as he now thinks about Tropes every time he picks up a keyboard to write: http://www.thedurandal.com/
Has co-founded or made viable:
- TropePantheons (By organizing the entries and adding the original stats, thank you very much.)
- Rosario To Vampire (Helped found the page with Midonin pre-crash.)
Has added his brand of wordy, highly-calculated insanity to:
- Bazaar of the Bizarre (The Dark Bazaar of FR's Calimport)
- Combat Medic (Air Force PJ's)
- Complaining About Shows You Don't Watch (4th Edition Forgotten Realms)
- Cool, but Inefficient (Combine Energy Core apologetics, anyone?)
- Critical Existence Failure (Lost Kingdoms)
- Crowning Moment Of Awesome (Several varied entries.)
- Crystal Spires and Togas (Nanoha's TSAB, because come on, he created a TSAB shirt for himself from scratch! ~_^ )
- Deadly Upgrade (D&D's "Transcend Mortality" spell)
- Expressive Hair (The Alien Nine entry)
- Forgotten Realms (It's my favorite D&D setting, so naturally I've added all sorts of things to this page :3 )
- Gargle Blaster
- Green Eggs And Ham (Refutal on real-life green eggs and ham.)
- Historical Villain Upgrade (Escaflowne's Big Bad)
- Hype Backlash (Best in Show)
- I Call It "Vera" (The computers Durandal, Ascalon, etc.)
- Instant Knots (The Vampire Killer addendum, etc.)
- Medieval Stasis (The Forgotten Realms sub-entry)
- Monkey Island
- Partly Cloudy with a Chance of Death (The Last Mythal's subversion of the trope)
- Random Number God (I Roll Twenties.)
- Shamu Fu (Minamoto wields a mean alligator.)
- Strait Jacket (Quite a few entries. :3)
- Strange Minds Think Alike (Did Touma just raise some story flags?)
- Stupid Jetpack Hitler (Operation Darkness. Because, I mean, come on!)
- Subspace Ansible (Planetes' subversion)
- Such A Lovely Noun
- The Aesthetics of Technology (The SR-71 addendum)
- These Are Things Man Was Not Meant to Know (380±60, Mr. Wise-Old Owl!)
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks! (Dungeons And Dragons edition changes, 2->3 and 3->4)
- Universal Driver's License
- Urban Fantasy (Had to add The Dresden Files.)
- World Shapes (Twinsun, from LBA/Twinsen's Odyssey.)
And now for Something Completely Different: The following tropes apply to me, or have directly affected my person. A personal compilation of Troper Tales, so to speak.
- Badass Bookworm: Tall, not skinny, but not huge or muscled, either.
- Cassandra Truth (See Only Sane Man, below).
- Celibate Hero
- Cool Sword: I have a longsword and a greatsword waster, and is trying to start an ARMA group in Oklahoma.
- Crazy-Prepared: Yes. (Is an Eagle Scout, so this sort of thing comes naturally).
- Deadpan Snarker: Just ask my friends.
- Dream Sequence: Mine are mostly lucid. I can't wake myself up, but I do have Matrix-esque godlike powers within my dreams.
- Dungeon Master: In the literal sense. I run D&D games.
- Genre Savvy: Or else I wouldn't be here, natch.
- Good Feels Good
- The Gunslinger: Has several pistols, a hunting rifle, and a shotgun.
- Honor Before Reason: Played straight most of the time. But I'm not stupid. Back in middle school, a girl picked a fight with me (in front of teachers), thinking I would not hit her back. Wrong. When she threw the punch, chivalry no longer applied to her, and I then leaned towards The Combat Pragmatist.
- Justice Will Prevail: Karma can take a long time, though.
- Keep the Reward: I don't feel comfortable with people tipping me during work, and try to tell them to keep their money.
- Knowledge Broker: To his friends and acquaintances.
- Lawful Good
- Loners Are Freaks: Subverted. Excuse me, society?
- Mr. Fixit: To computers, software, and appliances. Not to automobiles/hardware-store-esque hardware.
- Multicolored Hair: During the summer, I get streaks of platinum blonde and red-brown in my otherwise medium brown hair.
- Nice Guy
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist: Audodidactic. I'm awash with broad swaths of useless trivia, and studies and researches just about everything academic (except for "classic" literature, politics, and pop culture).
- Only Sane Man: Played straight, sometimes the only person who notices such things, and bureaucrats and beancounters at his university don't believe him.
- Perfect Health: Played straight in his youth, then mostly averted. Only tends to get sick during holidays, weekends, and breaks.
- The Quiet One: Most of the time.
- Reluctant Mad Scientist: Reluctant Mad Applied Scientist.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: When he does talk, or more often, write.
- Someday This Will Come in Handy: Played straight on several occasions with the things I've added into my backpack. First aid kit, multi-tool, 15 feet of high-tensile nylon rope, hacky-sack.
- Stealth Insult: Prone to giving them to others.
- The Stoic
- Straight Arrow: Shoots a recurve bow, and is thus into "traditional" archery.
- Straight Man/Tsukkomi: Speaking.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: Waking up after getting my wisdom teeth removed, totally lucid, and in a grand mal seizure from a stupidly rare allergy to the anti-nausea part of the anesthesia.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: It's Thou Shalt Not Murder, jerks.
- Token White: I'm as Vikingish-WASPly as you can get, ancestry-wise, and am not a fan of reverse racial discrimination.