American otaku and gamer, currently in college majoring in astronomy, as well as a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
I've always preferred animated works to live action for a few reasons. One, it's more vibrant and engaging visually than most live action works (barring CG). Two, you simply can do so much more in animation than with real people, bar none.
This isn't to say I don't like live action works. Typically they work better for drama, and certain types of comedy simply work much better this way than if animated.
Tropes That Describe This Contributor:
- Brilliant, but Lazy - To a minor extent. Not exactly proud of it, and I occasionally feel like wasted potential.
- Cannot Tell a Lie - Has a personal objection to lying. But Exact Words are typically used when he wants to conceal something without saying as much or outright lying about it.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander - Sometimes I just say random things. I don't really know why. Possibly the strangest is my tendency to meow like a cat (a very good approximation, if the reactions of others are anything to go by).
- Cuteness Proximity - See a dog, hug a dog. See a cat, hug a cat. Simple as that.
- Eating Lunch Alone - Did it in high school, still do it today.
- Man of a Thousand Voices - Borderline case. I can match accents easily (I got a confused look from my native speaker Japanese teacher before being complemented on my accent, and a classmate in a Spanish class once asked if I was from out of the country even though I look like a typical midwestern American) and animal noises are a fun thing for me to try and imitate (I've got cats down pretty much perfectly, but the variety of dog barks make them slightly trickier).
- Large Ham - The most fun acting in existence!
- Reed Richards Is Useless - I'm not just some dim bulb. But my career of choice? Astronomy. How often does that actually help anyone? Killer asteroids not withstanding.
- Rhymes on a Dime - When bored, can pull out some rather long, semicoherent "poetry" from pretty much nowhere.
- Shrinking Violet - No cuteness, just shy.
This Troper's Favorites:
- Battle Athletes - Major guilty pleasure for me.
- Full Metal Alchemist - Second favorite series.
- Martian Successor Nadesico - Don't know exactly why, but every since I first saw it some years ago to this day, it has been my favorite anime series. It all started with the few episodes on Toonami's Giant Robot Week. Months (years?) later I found the series as part of ADV's Essential Anime line and snapped it all up.
- Pani Poni Dash - Off the wall comedy has always appealed to me, and this series weird comedic style latched onto my brain stem and never let go.
- Sakigake Cromartie Koukou - See above.
- 1408 - Favorite horror movie. Possibly absolute favorite movie.
- Batman Begins
- Iron Man
- Monty Python And The Holy Grail
- Wall-E - Just a great movie.
- Lots of movies with Jim Carrey in them. Includes Liar Liar and The Mask.
- Big Bang Theory - I have a heavy physics background. How can I not like it? Unfortunately, I'm often called the Sheldon of my group of friends.
- Doctor Who - Campy? Yes. Bad science? Yes. Awesome? Oh, yeah.
- House - Intelligent show that manages to maintain good comedic elements.
- Scrubs - Like House, but more weird comedy and less drama.
- Etrian Odyssey - Turned me on to the dungeon crawler/roguelike genre.
- The Legend Of Zelda - Pretty much anything from this series.
- Nights Into Dreams
- Super Smash Bros. - One of the few fighting games I play (and excel at).
- Tales Of Symphonia - Includes the polarizing sequel. Also a general Tales Series fan.
- Avatar The Last Airbender - Surprisingly engaging cartoon for this day and age.
- Invader Zim
- My Little Pony: Frienship is Magic - Friends encouraged viewing, and almostly instantly got hooked.
- Transformers - Original, and all following incarnations. Except Kiss Players. Favorite is either Beast Wars or Animated.