I remember discovering this website through a link from Bulbagarden Forums back in 2008, then proceeded to go on an Archive Binge through Parental Issues, producing a proto-version of one of my earliest story characters. I made my handle sometime in 2009, I would assume, after discovering the Unpublished Works index and feeling that I should have a page, too. (Hint: please don't do this if you ever hope to at least post your writing for viewing.) My first forum post was in the wake of The Google Incident, whereupon I managed to rather spectacularly miss everything that happened, and I became a denizen of the Writer's Block subforum and the Character Development Threads in late February 2011, during my sophomore year of high school.
My very first online community was Bulbagarden, which I joined in 2006 with just the name Glacia because it was the Japanese name of my favorite Pokemon at the time, Glaceon. I didn't prefix it with 'Crystal' until a bit later (don't ask me exactly when) so I tend to view Glacia more as my internet 'first name'. You can call me CG, too.
These days, thanks to the craziness of full-time working life, I haven't had as much time as I used to in high school to hang around here. When you do see me, expect it to be somewhere in Writer's Block. I still lurk pretty much daily and read the wiki, so you're free to contact me via PM. It just might be a day or two before I can come up with a good response. In my spare time, I like to doodle, take pictures, play video games, hang out with my dogs, bake cookies, and make attempts to write.
I've been working on a sort-of-anthology of original fantasies (tentatively) called Rietessian Tales since 2008. Its characters can be seen in the Character Development Threads as well as on my Wattpad if you're into that.
Troper Wall here, if you'd like, as long as the administration is okay with it existing.
- The Water Bearer: An immortal, millennia-old family man discovers one night that whatever gave him his immortality also endowed him with telekinetic abilities, which manifest for the first time in the form of a dissociative episode that maims two of his children. With the help of his wife and mother-figure, he tries to heal and uncover what happened that day. Includes depression, racial activism, domestic life as a plutocrat, and Food Porn.
- The Pseudo-Retirement of a Painted Servant: This story follows a prideful Rivari man whose life gets turned upside down, and the aftermath that drives him to forge his own path as he reconsiders what it means to be what he is. Includes themes of isolation and personal autonomy.
- The Heliocentric: One of my only direct sequels to a work. The aforementioned immortal has grown more reclusive than ever and is now obsessed with a glass sphere the size of a beach ball. Includes a Cloudcuckooland, an Amnesiac God, and still lots of Food Porn.
- The Epic of Iris: An anthology told epic-style of the rise of Lady Iris, Phoenix of Uduinya, from servant girl to mother to carer and mentor of the downtrodden, executioner of old, stagnant empires, and ambassador of the Cephasti dragon-queendoms. Includes classic Heroic / High Fantasy, social vigilantism, motherhood, and dragons, ranging from blot-out-the-sun-huge, scary, and Nigh Invulnerable to shoulder-sized, cuddly, and enjoying scratchies.
- Shining Over Heaven: A sort-of political story that centers around the three dysfunctional personal bodyguards of a very unpopular chancellor, all taking place within a mess of a 'country' that has taken the equivalent of a hundred Earthen years to destroy itself. Includes lots of talking about life, the serving of fresh-baked croissants and tea, a boy and his kitty, and occasionally beating people up, all from the perspective of a blind protagonist.
- The Angel of Healing: A disgruntled ex-military doctor with very advanced (and versatile) healing magics travels the aforementioned 'country' after the events of Shining Over Heaven, helping people any way he can, even if that means he has to assassinate a few along the way because it's just so easy for someone with his abilities to get away with. Includes Medical Horror, lots of ends supposedly justifying horrible means, and a man's slow descent into madness.
- Asian and Nerdy: Biology, computer science, and sociology are fun.
- Author Appeal: Food Porn, life science, historical computing, horribly depressing backstories, and stoics.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: My friends have speculated that my quietness might be the reason why our degree program's resident Jerkass personally insulted everybody (professors included) but me.
- Embarrassing Initials: I don't like using my initials. If I include my middle name, I get "J. A. K." (the cool kid spelling of Jack), and if I omit my middle name, I get "J. K." (Just Kidding). My full first name is uncommon and short enough that I can often just use that in place of my initials.
- Femme Fatalons: Whenever I let my nails grow out, they get sharp. Not jagged, just pointy and prone to catching on people wrong. And I don't even have to groom my nails in any specific manner for this to happen.
- Good with Numbers: Good enough for computer science! I still can't add up round dollar amounts in my head and suck at working concession stands...
- Happily Adopted: My papers say that I was abandoned at a school in Wuhan at the age of one month (at the start of the summer during record-high temperatures). Ever since I was adopted at five months, the identities of my birth parents remain unknown to this day. I don't care to get any closer to my native culture than food, and I have no desire to seek these people out.
- Hates Being Touched: Especially my knees, which are also very sensitive to temperature and can feel a draft anywhere. You know how some people can't fall asleep if their feet are cold? I'm like that with my knees.
- Heavy Sleeper: Apparently once slept through my father's police cruiser deciding that it wanted to make every noise it could possibly make (sirens included) in the dead of night once. I sleep through my alarm clock only on rare occasions, though.
- Innocently Insensitive: Comes with the territory. That being said, if I ever say something that rubs you the wrong way, please let me know because I historically have not been able to realize anything was wrong until months or even years later.
- Not a Morning Person: This was the case throughout my student years. Let's be honest, school life does not produce a consistent spread of work- teachers can give schedules of tests and homework all they want, but they spread it out so unevenly that my energy level and work-life balance were never able to settle, producing tons of late nights that messed up my mornings. Getting a job, oddly enough, actually evened all that out, and now I have a much easier time getting tired at a reasonable hour and waking up early.
- Real Dreams Are Weirder: My sleeping brain has no sense of narrative or continuity, and any unnamed extras who appear have no distinguishing features- not even genders -aside from being human beings. Despite being a writer, this actually makes the vast majority of my dreams unsuitable for any kind of inspiration.
TV Shows, Anime, And Such
Webcomics, Web Series, Websites, Podcasts, And Other Online-Format Things
- Alice Isn't Dead
- Animal Wonders
- The Anthropocene Reviewed
- Ask a Mortician
- The Brain Scoop
- Blood Stain
- CGP Grey
- Cooking with Dog
- Fifteen Minds
- Folding Ideas
- Freeman's Mind
- Lazy Game Reviews
- Maru and Hana
- The Periodic Table Of Videos
- Ross's Game Dungeon
- Stand Still, Stay Silent
- What I'm Doing Right Now (calling all Arandanauts!)
- Wheezy Waiter
- Big Hero 6
- The Heat
- The Imitation Game
- The Jungle Book (2016)
- SHAZAM! (2019)
- Wonder Woman (2017)
- Alan Wake
- Final Fantasy Tactics A2
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
- Lost in Blue 2
- Pokémon (since 2004!)
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Amelia's Notebook
- The Dresden Files
- The Kingkiller Chronicle
- Warrior Cats
Other Stuff, All/Mostly Theatrical Productions
- Aether (the aforementioned Unpublished Works page that was cut before the last archive purge, hehe)
- Amelia's Notebook
- Black Wings, Black Sails
- Fifteen Minds
- Forgotten Ohio
- Hydraulic Press Channel
- John Mackey
- Trade Winds
Pages That I Have Curated To A Significant Extent
Pages That I Have Provided An Image Or Several For
- Final Fantasy Tactics A2
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
- Fire, Ice, Lightningnote
- Helmets Are Hardly Heroicnote
- Eye Glasses
- Nico Nico Douga
- Harmless Electrocution
- The character images for Final Fantasy Tactics A2
- Elemental Nation
- Dodgeball Is Hell
- John Mackey
- Ray Charles
- Mighty Roar
- Explicit Content
- David Attenborough
- Father Knows Best
- Twitchy Eye
- Most of the character images for The Muppet Show
- Mikhail Gorbachev
- Boris Johnson
- Peter Mandelson
- Sigmund Freud
- Al Franken
- American Restoration
- The character images for Diary of a Wimpy Kid
- Amy Tan
- Most of the character images for Sherlock
- Character images for Alan Wake
- Character images for AIR
- Improvised Umbrella