Tropes pertaining to Chickeon:
- Signature Style: All of his works deal with some degree of politics, and are either heavy on worldbuilding or personify something.
- Doing It for the Art: And the fact that it gives him something to do.
- Creators Favourite: Molly (Lenaren) and Cuba (Up North).
- Shown Their Work: He tries to do this, with varying degrees of success.
LenarenLenaren is a future cartoon created by Chickeon and updates are posted on his deviantART page, which can be found here.
A difficult choice plagues the leaders of the six Lenarese superstates of the Republic of Chienne, United States of Chihuan, Unified Avian Monarchy, Greater Persian Theocracy, United Soviet Ursine Republics, and the People's Republic of Mashan. As the current and long-standing cold war between them all seems to heat up after a few controversial choices, all of them come to think over the prospect of war.
Chienne and Chihuan are close allies, and work under the name of the Chienne-Chihuan Axis, or just the Axis. These two countries, although very different, have leaders that are elected and capitalism reigns supreme. Chinenne is much more free than that autocratic and chihuahua-supremacist Chihuan, but they find a common ground through race and economy. On the opposite end of the spectrum, lies the dictatorial and communist Mashan and Ursine Republics. They are allied under the name of the Equine-Ursine Alliance, or the Alliance for short, and advocate communism and control. The Ursine Republics are more strict in their adherence to communism. The Axis and Alliance, due to their ideological conflicts, are locked in an eternal cold war. What's more, is that war could happen at the slightest provocation. The Southeastern Coalition containing the oligarchic, caste-driven Unified Avian Monarchy and the religious Greater Persian Theocracy, have not choice but to either take sides in a possibly world-ending conflict or somehow stick together.
President of Chienne Molly has more grandiose ambitions than what the citizens of Chienne will allow; Empress Ai is dealing with a possible rebellion on her hooves; Prime Minister Nikolai tries to inspire his populace to work through force; High Priest Rais is dealing with some unholy behaviours that would ruin him, along with a budding insurgency; Queen Nosizwe seems to have the only country that isn't under threat, but she is; and Chihuanese President Ferox, although secretive, has researchers working on a game-changing technology: nuclear power.
The one question taking the world of Lenaren by storm is: Is war worth it? Is it necessary? Can opposing cultures reconcile, or will the only redemption come from the barrel of a gun?
MollyMolly is the Vice President of Chienne. She is a black and white Jack Russel terrier with a purple ensemble.
- Tribute to Fido: Based on one of Chickeon's dogs.
- Ruler Protagonist: President of the Ro C and POV character of season 1.
Empress of the People's Republic of Mashan "Ai"Ai Long is a grey mare that is the Empress of Mashan. State-run media portray her as infallible and all-loving, when she is anything but.
- Ruler Protagonist: Empress of the the PRC and POV character in season 2.
- The Magnificent: The most common ones are the Great Granddaughter of the Revolution, the Radiant, the Benevolent, Big Sister....
Prime Minister of the United Soviet Ursine Republics "Nikolai"Nikolai is the grolar bear Prime Minister of the Ursine Republics.
- Meaningful Name: His placeholder name means "victory of the people," fitting the Soviet-like country he governs.
- Ruler Protagonist: Prime Minister of USUR and POV character in season 3.
Prophet of the Greater Persian Theocracy "Rais"Rais is an orange tabby, and is the Prophet of the Greater Persian Theocracy.
- Meaningful Name: His placeholder name means "leader" in Arabic. Guess what he does.
- High Priest: His job.
- Ruler Protagonist: Prophet of the GPT and POV character in season 4.
Queen of the Unified Avian Monarchy "Nosizwe"Nosizwe is an azure jay that leads the Unified Avian Monarchy. She is sweet and matronly towards most of the UAM's populace. Compared to the rest of the First Class birds, she is a bit slow, but she makes up for it by being compassionate and caring. She often visits schools to teach.
- Meaningful Name: Her placeholder name means "Mother of the Nation" is Xhosa.
- The High Queen: Most definitely the case.
- Young and in Charge: The youngest leader of any Lenarenese nation-state, at 24.
- Modest Royalty: Bejeweled, complex dresses aren't conducive to flying.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: While she does govern, she also educates the birds of tomorrow in her spare time.
- Blue Blood: She is apart of the First Class, the highest status in Avian society. She is also blue.
- Ruler Protagonist: Queen of the UAM and POV character in season 5.
- The Magnificent: Nosizwe the Kind, and for good reason.
President of the United States of Chihuan "Ferox"Ferox is a blonde chihuahua who rules over the United States of Chihuan.
- Tribute to Fido: Based on one of Chickeon's dogs.
- Meaningful Name: His placeholder name is a Roman name, meaning "ferocious." And considering his personality, its not hard to see why this fits him.
- Action Politician: No, really?
- Klingon Promotion: How he became president.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Like this wouldn't apply.
- Ruler Protagonist: President of the USC and POV character in season 6.
- The Magnificent: Is usually referred to as Fenox, the Wildfire.
Republic of Chienne
United States of Chihuan
People's Republic of Mashan
United Soviet Ursine Republics
Greater Persian Theocracy
Unified Avian Monarchy
- Art Shift: So very much.
- Development Hell: Five years and counting, with many shifts and changes.
- Doing It for the Art: The ultimate reason he's still going after ~5 years.
- Executive Meddling: For the better. Chickeon had an epiphany concerning whether Lenaren should be a more comedic or more story-driven. After a while, he decided on the latter.
Up NorthUp North is a webcomic created by Chickeon and posted on his deviantART page, which can be found here.
Up North follows North Korea, a narcissistic, crazed man who has high ambitions but low common sense or funds. He is joined by his Latino friend Cuba, who tries to keep him grounded; his nerdy twin South Korea; his absolute enemies America and Japan; and his role models Russia and China. North Korea does not listen to anyone but himself (and sometimes Cuba, China, and Russia), and has unmatched determination to build a missile capable of striking down all his enemies.
Then again, barely anyone can stand him and mostly anyone could kill him, so Hilarity Ensues.
One of Tropers/Chickeon's projects, which has been worked on for around six months. However, the roots of this webcomic go back much further, with its unreleased predecessor dating back to around two years ago.
Applicable to all
- Cast Full of Crazy: Everyone has something that sets them as crazy to someone.
- National Stereotypes: Characters as based in this.
- Nations as People
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: Flags can usually be found somewhere on any of them.
North KoreaThe eponymous Villain Protagonist of Up North. Friends with few and enemies with most, North Korea knows that everyone disapproves of his nuclear ambitions, but that doesn't mean he'll stop. He likes to yell at his twin, South Korea.
- Absolute Xenophobe: Like he wouldn't be.
- Arch-Enemy: Where to start?
- Asian Rudeness: Except to certain people, this is a rule with him.
- Asianand Nerdy: Versed with technology? Check. Builds things? Check.
- Asshole Victim: Gets what he brings on himself.
- Badass Bookworm: Builds nukes and reads in his spare time.
- Black Cloak: More of a robe, but still applies.
- Boisterous Weakling: Most of the people he routinely picks on or endangers could easily squish him.
- Cainand Abel: Cain to South Korea's Abel.
- Celibate Eccentric Genius
- The Cracker: Finds hacking to be an easy way to make his enemies suffer.
- Evil Genius
- Evil Gloating: Indulges in this.
- Evil Twin: Views South Korea as this.
- Fatand Skinny: Skinny to Cuba's fat.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Owns a pair of reading glasses.
- Gadgeteer Genius
- Heteronormative Crusader: Doesn't have any religious excuse, he just thinks they're disgusting.
- I Just Wantto Be Loved: He wants to be loved by all or to make people love him.
- Insufferable Genius
- Iron Butt-Monkey
- Mad Scientist: Loves experimenting on animals.
- Messy Hair
- Morality Pet: Cuba, possibly.
- Narcissist: His most obvious personality trait.
- Not-So-Well-Intentioned Extremist
- Odd Couple: With Cuba.
- Poke the Poodle: Most of his antics equate to this.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Racist, homophobic, and against religion.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Cuba's blue; red to South Korea's blue.
- The Sociopath: Probably. Has a limited capacity to care, but otherwise fits.
- The Stoic
- Tragic Villain: His backstory explains much of his hatred for everyone, especially Japan and America.
- Villain Protagonist
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Really wants Russia or China's approval. Especially Russia.
- Wicked Cultured: Loves to read and build bombs.
- Workaholic: Most definitely, considering he spends most of his time working.
- Yellow Peril
CubaCuba is North Korea's closest friend and comrade, which means that Cuba gets away with quite a bit when it comes to him. He's trying to patch up things with America, but with limited success.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Carpet of Virility
- Fat and Skinny: Fat to North Korea's skinny.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Whenever he doesn't have nicotine in him, this is usually what happens when he's mad.
- It's Cuban: Makes them, smokes them, and sells them.
- The Lancer
- Latino Is Brown
- Lovable Rogue
- Odd Couple: With North Korea.
- Rebellious Spirit
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to North Korea's red.
- Straight Man: The first one to point out flaws in North Korea's plans, and doesn't put up with his wackier quirks.
- Token Good Teammate
South KoreaSouth Korea is North Korea's twin sister, and is quite attractive. However, her attractiveness doesn't detract from her shyness and competency at video games.
- Asian Buck Teeth: Had these fixed.
- Asian and Nerdy: Plays video games? Check. Wears glasses? Check. Is very competitive within said video games? Double-check.
- Badass Bookworm
- Beware the Nice Ones: Prefers to stay out of conflicts, but she can wreak anyone online.
- Blind Without 'Em: Nearsighted in contrast to North Korea's farsightedness.
- Brainy Brunette: Very much so.
- Cain and Abel: Abel to North Korea's Cain.
- Evil Twin: Views North Korea somewhat like this.
- Hero Antagonist
- Nerd Glasses: Big, round ones.
- The Quiet One
- The Rival
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to North Korea's red; blue to Japan's red.
- Shrinking Violet: Shy and introverted by nature, and is deeply afraid of Japan.
- Smart People Wear Glasses
JapanJapan is well disliked by many for very good reasons. However, she is trying to get better. She enjoys drawing and writing, and has fun freaking people out.
- Alpha Bitch
- Asian Rudeness: Can certainly be this, especially to the Koreas.
- Asian and Nerdy: In to anime, manga, video games, and loves writing fanfiction.
- The Atoner: Has done some terrible things that she would love to forget she ever did.
- Badass Adorable: Do not underestimate her because she looks pretty and demure.
- Badass Bookworm: Do not underestimate her because she's artistic, either.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Extraverted Nerd
- Femme Fatale: Has shades of this.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Has only succeeded in making miniature mechas, but she's still trying to make one she can pilot.
- Hero Antagonist
- Japanese Politeness: Is her default in most cases.
- Japanese Ranguage: Mostly averted. She sometimes slips into this, but its a rarity.
- Leanand Mean
- Mad Scientist: Was this.
- Morality Pet: If it wasn't for America, she'd still be who she wants to forget she was.
- Nosebleed: Susceptible to this.
- Prim and Proper Bun
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Definitely more antagonistic towards people than she lets on.
- Silk Hiding Steel
- Yamato Nadeshiko
- Yaoi Fangirl/Yuri Fan: Has a special collection of stories shipping her friends and enemies, but is most fondest of her gay pairings.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A, with red polka-dots.
AmericaAmerica is very divisive. Is he overly loved or overly hated? Either way, he's fun, helpful, and usually not a jerk.
- America Savesthe Day: Likes to believe that he does this.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Friendly, affable, and has employed nukes against someone.
- Ditzy Genius: Definitely knowns more than he lets on.
- Dumb Blonde: Plays up this stereotype for fun.
- Dumb Jock: Plays up this stereotype for fun.
- Fast-Food Nation: Fond of fast food.
- Fat and Skinny: Skinny to Russia's fat.
- Friendly Rivalry: With Russia, although sometimes it seems less of this.
- Hero Antagonist
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red to Russia's blue.
- Southern Gentleman: Friendly, helpful, and with a slight Southern accent.
- Trademark Favourite Food: Hamburgers and fries.
RussiaRussia, much like the bears the roam his land, is big, quiet, and intimating. However, he has hidden qualities about him that few know about.
- Badass Beard
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Carpet of Virility
- Fat and Skinny: Fat to America's skinny.
- Friendly Rivalry: With America, although sometimes it seems less of this.
- Glorious Mother Russia
- Heteronormative Crusader: Earns some ire for being extremely anti-LGBT+.
- Husky Russkie
- Mother Russia Makes You Strong: Strong is an understatement.
- Parental Substitute: Was this to Cuba and North Korea. Not so much any more.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Not much of a hero, but this still applies.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Strong, big, hairy, and stoic, but also loves ballet and theatre.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to America's red.
- The Stoic
- Vodka Drunkenski: Makes alcohol, sells it, and drinks it on most days.
ChinaPerhaps one of the few people that can try to get North Korea to listen to reason, China is a businessman who spends most of his time making gadgets in exchange for money.
- Asian Rudeness: Blunt and honest with others about them, even when he shouldn't be.
- Asian and Nerdy
- Badass Bookworm:
- Bald of Awesome: Balding, but applicable.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Knows how to make many complex machines by memory.
- Inscrutable Oriental: Hard to make mad, but easily disappointed.
- Parental Substitute: To North Korea.
- Real Men Wear Pink: While not the epitome of manliness, he still loves to write poetry and garden.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Small, round ones specifically.
- Stoic Spectacles
- Workaholic: Most of his days are spent tinkering with something.
- Art Shift: Even comparing the final designs to the first designs uploaded to dA, there is definite differences. Even more so, before the retooling, the art was much more simplistic and cartoony than it is now.
- Creator Backlash: Before making this incarnation, Chickeon tried making a webcomic that focused on the entire world. This was a problem, as the scope was too big. These problems caused him to quit working on the comic altogether until he retooled it into what it is today.
- Creator Breakdown: Caused Chickeon to stop working on it, pre-retool.
- Creator's Favorite: Cuba.
- Development Hell: And how! Chickeon went through many attempts with differing artstyles, and gave up once. It's nearing completion, but still unreleased.
- Doing It for the Art: The ultimate reason he's still trying to do this.
- Executive Meddling: If you can believe it was self-imposed. It was eventually overcome, but Chickeon went through multiple phases of trying to put more emphasis on story, characters, comedy, mirroring real events, etc. It Got Better, however.
- Production Nickname: To friends: Chickeon occasionally refers to the characters as (food or consumable relating to character) Mommy/Daddy. For example, Burger Daddy (America), Sushi Mommy (Japan), ect..
- Write What You Know: Chickeon has a big interest in Asia, and knows a lot about North Korea.