A broken lampshade is, in essence, a failed attempt at dissuading the threat of breaking the audience's Willing Suspension of disbelief.
This failure to lampshade simply leads to more questions from the audience, such as "Why am I wasting time watching/reading/playing this right now?" So the question stands:
Why are you reading my page?
My name is Broken Lampshade, colloquially known as Calvin, and I spend much of my time on TV Tropes. Now, I don't spend that time as someone who posts on the forums, or does anything at all substantial or interesting. Instead, I spend it reading the same trope pages over and over again, making angry edits to posts that don't really need to be edited for the sake of syntax.
In Real Life, I am actually a shockingly irresponsible university student. I grew up on on the internet, playing games like Age of Empires, Star Wars Battlefront and, get this: Viva Pinata! It was through these games that I really became who I am now; a little bit weird.
I enjoy things, and they are listed below.
I also dislike things, and a couple of those are listed below.
The Things I Enjoy:
- Guards! Guards! : I'll be honest, Guards! Guards! is probably my favorite book ever.
- Life of Pi
- Mort : Mort is listed as one of Terry Pratchett's best works, but I don't really see the appeal of this one.
- Scott Pilgrim : Or the greatest Graphic Novel ever created.
- Small Gods : Alright, Small Gods may also be my favorite book ever. I'll never decide, honestly.
- Apocalypse Now
- Bird Man
- District 9
- Fight Club
- Five Centimetres Per Second
- Hearts of Darkness
- Hot Fuzz
- Jiro Dreams of Sushi
- Life Of Pi
- Mad Max
- Pulp Fiction
- Saving Private Ryan
- Shaun Of the Dead
- The Big Lebowski
- The Breakfast Club
- The Garden of Words
- The Shawshank Redemption
- The Wolf of Wall Street
- The World's End
- Assassin's Creed
- The Banner Saga: One of my favorite series ever
- Blazblue: The ending of Continuum Shift EXTEND is one of my favorite endings to anything ever.
- Civilization 4 and 5: Both Vanilla and Beyond the Sword, and 5 with all the expansions.
- Conception II: God, I don't know why I listed this piece of crap.
- Dank souls
- Darkest Dungeon: I USE MY LEPER TO HIT THE THING
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Dota 2 : Whenever I forget what it feels like to have my confidence undermined.
- Dungeon Of the Endless
- Endless Legend
- Endless Space
- Final Fantasy VII
- FTL: Faster Than Light Despite it's massive difficulty line.
- Heavy Rain: David Cage is a hilarious god-like being.
- Heroes of the Storm
- Hotline Miami
- Mass Effect: Even the third game's ending!
- Medieval II: TotalWar
- Metal Gear Solid 3
- Persona 3
- Persona 4: Arena
- Persona 4:The Golden
- Pillars Of Eternity is a game I'll finish... One day.
- Planetside 2 Was one of my favorites when I was a teenager.
- Shadow of the Colossus Despite it's incredibly high controller layout learning curve.
- Sins of a Solar Empire
- Skull Girls
- SOMA how I love thee
- Starcraft II : Whenever I feel like being disappointed at the ending of Legacy of The Void. A 20 year story line completed in the space of a couple slides. Fix your game, Blizzard.
- Sword And Sworcery Despite that lunar cycle mechanic; I mean, come on.
- Supreme Commander
- Soul Sacrifice
- Tales from The Borderlands
- Team Fortress 2
- The Walking Dead
- X:COM: Enemy Unknown Despite its ability to immediately and nigh irrevocably tilt me.
- The Yawhg