I am the troper known as BrightLight and I hail from New Zealand, though I am of Filipino descent, as both of my parents are from the Philippines.
I came to TV Tropes because I am interested in honing my writing skills and thus have taken an interest in tropes.
I care a lot about writing quality, and my taste for movies, shows, books, comics, and fanfics reflects that.
I love how the majority of the fandom of Kim Possible headcanon Kim and her family to be Catholics.
(There's even in-show implied evidence of Kim's faith being Catholicism, so that is awesome.)
As a Catholic, I really appreciate this.
The Star Wars prequels are better than the originals and sequels.
That will be all.
I love writing fanfiction whenever I have free time.
I go by the name Transformers 0 on FanFiction.Net.
I also go by that name on Archive of Our Own, although there's no space between the word and the zero, so my username is Transformers0 on AO3 instead.
Pages that I have created for this site:
- Blood Moon
- Cabin Fever
- The First Bloodbender
- Get Ed
- Imprisoned (This Time for Real)
- Just Another Morning
- Still Stand In The Sun
Hogwarts House = Hufflepuff
Bending Element = Water
Weather Preference = Hot Weather
Tropes to describe me:
- Anti-Hero: I'm Catholic and my aim is to do right by everybody, but anger management issues and a short fuse for a temper make me a bit of a hardass.
- Berserk Button: Interrupting me when I'm writing is usually a surefire way to annoy me. Especially considering that usual everyday tasks like that are made more mentally and emotionally strenuous with OCD.
- People getting my stuff dirty.
- When it comes to fiction, writers who don't try, who don't bother, and who don't give a damn. If that's the case, they don't deserve their paycheck then.
- Beware the Nice Ones: With my friends and family, I usually am submissive and meek and do my best not to be a burden to anyone. To enemies, however, be prepared for me to deliver a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown if I get pissed off enough.
- Big Brother Instinct: I'm the oldest child in my family, and I'm a boy. Though I may have a temper in general, those who are stupid enough to mess with my little sister and little brother are gonna get my full wrath.
- Big Brother Mentor: My little brother idolizes me and wants to become a creative writer like me as well. Whenever he wants writing lessons, I'm more than happy to tutor him.
- Expy: Me and my family are an expy of Katara and Aang's family. Right down to the age order and personalities. Mom is the older parent, Dad is the more lenient one, I'm the eldest son with a significant age gap between me and my sister, and my little sister and little brother are close in age. This is also one of the reasons why I'll defend the dynamic of the Cloudfamily as they were portrayed in Legend of Korra.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Amusingly, it can very between me, my sister and my brother. When it comes to topics and work that are more tailored to adults, as the oldest sibling, I'm the most responsible. When it comes to mundane desk work, however, my little sister has me and my brother beat. But when it comes to restraining temper, our youngest brother is the most mature there.
- Freudian Trio: Me and my siblings.
- Id = Me. I'm impulsive and I tend to act out based on my feelings. I still try and ensure that I do what I feel is right.
- Ego = My little sister. She tends to follow some rules, but plays loose on a few others.
- Superego = My little brother. Though he may not comprehend the deeper reasons behind the more complex rules, he follows every rule and instruction as best as he can.
- The Ditherer: OCD coupled with some self-esteem issues makes me procrastinate when it comes to making major decisions. It even affects my creative writing. Being an OCD ditherer is probably my biggest weakness.
- Drives Like Crazy: Not completely crazy, and definitely not with road rage — I know, it's surprising given my admitted temper. But really, it's a mundane case of me being excited when I'm in the driver's seat and treating the family car like it's a race car instead of a people carrier.
- This can also extend to my bike.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Cursed with this. Well, I'm cursed with OCD, but that does nothing to help my short temper — usually only making it worse.
- In Harm's Way: I love biking at high speed, and one time I electrocuted myself simply because I wanted to find out what it felt like. I also tend to stay up late doing my writing.
- The McCoy: I operate and go with my gut instincts.
- Neat Freak: Every time I go to the toilet, I wash my hands at least twice before I leave. I also loathe dirty jobs where I'm exposed to a lot of bacteria and germs.
- Nice, Mean, and In-Between: My little brother is nice, I am mean (well, the meanest), and my little sister is in-between.
- Psycho Party Member: I keep myself on a leash when around my family, although my little sister can spot bits of my aggressive streak shining through. With my friends and on this site, however, I'm more free to cut loose about my philosophical stances, even if some of them might be brutally disturbing.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: I'm prone to this in real-life.
- Thrill Seeker: To an extent. It's mostly to do with my cycling.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Rats and bugs. To a lesser extent, corpses of any kind. On a different kind of phobia, I'm also terrified of heights.
Tropes that I absolutely hate:
- Above Good and Evil: No one is above Good and Evil. No one.
- Acquired Situational Narcissism: You know the old saying, Pride Before a Fall? Try not to fall in the first place.
- Black Dude Dies First: This is just racism.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: You're either good or evil. If you're evil, then go screw yourself. If you're not evil, but not on the side of good either, then you can go screw yourself too.
- Crime of Self-Defense: This one really pisses me off. Instigators of unprovoked attacks should be the ones who are punished, not the defenders. And those who actually let instigators off in real life, while letting the defenders get punished — those kind of people who enable that are trashy scum.
- Denser and Wackier: This is basically the backwards evolution trope. We don't need less intelligence as a species, we need more, and having dumb fiction to provide instant gratification for the lowest common denominator cesspools of society is not going to get us anywhere. It's not even an achievement to be proud of.
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: The main characters may as well pull a Taking You with Me with the villains at this point.
- Eight Deadly Words: Don't do this, because it may as well lead to Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy. Speaking of which...
- Flanderization: This is just Denser and Wackier lazy writing, and it shows just how much of a shallow being that the writers who utilize this trope are.
- Flat Character: Boring.
- Happy Ending Override: Don't do this, because it may as well lead to Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy. Speaking of which...
- Idiotic Partner Confession: Said idiotic partners should be pounded until their mouths are swollen shut.
- Immune to Slapstick: No real-life mortal is ever immune to slapstick, and this should be a rule that's applied in fiction as well.
- Insufferable Genius: Just another type of arrogance.
- Jammed Seatbelts: Only a braindead idiot would fail in accomplishing such a simple task as removing a seatbelt.
- Karma Houdini: Damn this trope.
- Made Out to Be a Jerkass: Yeah, screw this trope. Jerkwads deserve to be called out and made to suffer for their behaviour.
- Non-Lethal Warfare: Anyone intelligent should be able to grasp why this trope is full of bullcrap.
- No Snack For You: Bullcrap trope. This only happens in the world of fiction and has never happened in real life. This, along with Vengeful Vending Machine, should be a dead trope.
- Not Allowed to Grow Up: That ain't realistic.
- Poor Communication Kills: You'd have to be a complete frigging idiot to land yourself in this situation in the first place.
- Rightly Self-Righteous: This is still arrogance.
- Sequelitis: Don't ruin good stories with crap continuations.
- Standardized Leader: This only happens when the writers are too lazy to give the leader of a group some actual depth as a character.
- Static Character: Boring.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: Stupid, just like the writers who use this trope.
- Vengeful Vending Machine: This has never happened in real life and it's a f**king stupid cliche. It's even worse when it's used to try and force drama down the audience's throats.