Yes, I've cleaned up the page after quite sometime... In fact, it's been forever since I've updated this thing so I decided to fix some things...
Well, Let me introduce myself... I'm Arthur Macnar, creator of all the Sairain MIDI stuff as well as to contribute to this big place of TV Tropes. You actually think I'm a black dragon don't you? Well... you're kind of needing a little wake up call then.
So what have I done, and what do I maintain here? Well I'll show you:
- Created the page for Hydro Thunder.
- I help maintain these pages of the following video games:
By the way, this is also the page article for tropes associated with Sairain MIDI, so it's kind of big... Sorry if that bothers you.
Starting up back in 2003 as a MIDI sequencer handle name, the misspelling of the planet named Sauria plus the term MIDI (Which stands for Musical Instrument Data Interface) that appeared on the internet scene with a somewhat really poor sounding cover/remix of the video game music tune Hammer Bros. Battle from Super Mario Bros. 3. Having improved on the MIDI tricks and discovering the wonders of Yamaha XG, the creator AJ the Black Dragon (or BlackDragonAJ89, or Arthur as some people call me) began to build up a rather good repitore that continues on today.
However, the Sairain MIDI name wouldn't get really recognized until the creation of Arthur Macnar, a anthro black dragon with some serious muscle and a really long tail appeared along with many other really dark, edgy looking anthro animals and began to appeal to the Furry Fanbase. Upon realizing the potential of notice from Deviant Art, Sairain MIDI went from backyard talent to well known anthro creator thanks to said website.
Later on, Sairain MIDI would come to spawn many new characters and projects, most of them being Funny Animals and human characters. Most notable characters include:
- Arthur Johanns Mancnar: A black dragon who is similar to Solid Snake and Batman, in which he is often the Unfunny in most situations. He likes to work out, help everyday people, and pretty much just be a low-end hero. Pretty much the true Author Avatar.
- Ericka: Yet another black dragon, except female, she is the Action Girl of the trio with Arthur and Ashley. Although rather sensitive and a little more mellow, her crazed dancing skills have earned her quite a fan base.
- Ashley Misteral: A rather pudgey, cute little bat that is Ericka's best friend and hangs out with Arthur. She's just the Cute Bruiser of the Danish Dragon Arise series.
- Mattie Siccortail: A siccortail flycatcher who works for a government agency in the space frontier as a bounty hunter.
- Cindy Piper: A blue vixen who is a treasure hunter on various planets in outer space.
- Katie Kroc: An incredibly skinny yet strong-willed crocodile of an Australian tourist island who works as a life guard.
- Sirius: A mysterious black crocodile who is good friends with Katie and posses a powerful staff.
- Bree: A mystical blue koppa who's past isn't all that known due to a low amount history in her universe.
- Skillar: A power black koppa who wants to get rid of Bree because she's so special... So I Heard...
- AJ the Mad Musician (or Andross Dunbar): A an 80s punky musician who does charity work who has to fight memes, and deal with the deadly disease of 'SYNTHESIZERITIS' and that could happen to him whenever has to work for a dead-beat game company.
- Annie Swellow: A fan character created for the Star Fox universe. She is basically a sidekick for Krystal and plays a large role in Starfox Reloaded. And she's a Barn Swallow...
- Clera O'Donnell: A fan character created for the Star Fox universe. She is Wolf's sister and probably the only decent crappy character to be made, or at least the only one to have an understandable not-so-Mary-Sue-like traits.
- Darla Mare: A female character who is both for the Star Fox universe and her own little verse. She's a zebra with killer physic powers.
Most Sairain MIDI works are rather adult considering that most of the fandom is young. Most works are cynical, and are always full of jokes about how idealism seems to fall apart and how the best things in life are just simple joys and pleasures, like having someone who cares about you, having some kind of talent, or just even being alive.
Also should be noted, as suggested by the character listings, that fan works for Super Mario Bros., Pokemon, Star Fox, MOTHER & Earthbound, Metal Gear Solid, Bomberman, Sim City, and Spyro The Dragon have been made (which include music, fan art, fan fiction, comics, and other junk).
- The Wonderful World of Joe: A random-based anthro-Pokemon comic and character collection.
- Starfox Reloaded: A Starfox Fan fiction that still needs to be finished, but is at chapter 7/8 of 13.
- The Time Of Yoshis: A really ugly Mario Crack Fic that's rather short. A Take That! to doomsday transformation stories.
- The Eagleland Project: A Collection of user made buildings for Sim City 4 Deluxe.
Sairain MIDI also had done a lot works and pictures for it's fans and watchers of Deviant Art.
Most things and projects will vary and works often come in waves... on moment you'll get hit with a bunch of Earthbound fan art, the next, you'll find a MIDI version of a Mario tune. The question of how fans feel about this will vary, but as always, it's how things get done.
And whatever you do, don't forget to laugh and eat garlic!
Sairain MIDI, in all it's glory, gives you these examples of:
- Absent-Minded Professor: This Troper, no less...
- All Girls Like Ponies: Parodied and twisted; I like horses.
- Animation Age Ghetto: OMG DRAGONZ ARE FOAR KIDZ!
- Not always.
- Artifact Title: Sairain MIDI used to be all about music (it still has music though).
- Author Avatar: Arthur Macnar the dragon (and human form) is the true Author Avatar. Granted, AJ the Infernape is an alter-ego sort of thing, but he's more of a Composite Character these days. Andross J Dunbar (sometimes also called AJ), isn't even a self-insert character anymore.
- Award-Bait Song
- Battle Couple: Arthur and Ericka.
- Better Than It Sounds
- Bizarrchictecture: The Eagleland Project in full spades. Although the Legendary and Corrupted color schemes are somewhat normal, it's Trinity that holds the record for being very bizaare.
- Boobs of Steel: Played with in the Pokemon fan comic Wonderful World of Joe, in which Liza the Machoke has the figure suitable but Bethany the Aggron parodies it because she is living steel.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: So many instances of it that it's hard to keep track of when it was broken when it normally wasn't. See the No Fourth Wall entry on this page for more details.
- Broken Base
- But Thou Must!
- Chest Insignia: Arthur's chest tattoo is the Sairain MIDI claw marking logo.
- Copy Cat Sue: Clera O' Donnell falls into this, but she ends up becoming more of a backstory addition for Wolf than an actual Mary Sue like one would assume.
- Although arguments stir up that she isn't even Sueitful at all, being Wolf's little sister would justify any skills similar to his (and that Panther will fall for pretty much any woman that looks good), she's probably more fleshed out than any other character made by me. However, I disagree.
- Crack Fic: The Time of Yoshis, somewhat a Take That! against the transformation-obssesed fandoms.
- Composite Character: AJ the Infernape, Andross J Dunbar (sometimes called AJ), Sophie Mills, Ashley the Bat, and Ericka are all combinations of really old characters once created but eventually tossed out due to an overbearing amount of characters.
- Cute Bruiser: Ashley Misteral the gray bat of Danish Dragon Arise.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Arthur and Ericka send this home being black dragons who fight some very nasty forces. Also, the Corrupted building set of the Eagleland Project is no different than any of the other buildings in the collection.
- Granted, names like "Little Hatchling Offices" or "Convexity Lane" and even for the planned larger buildings like "Wyraach Fiscal Group" and "Cullen Condos" sound a bit unnerving, but then the other 4 groups have some pretty evil and/or dark sounding names as well.
- Deconstruction: Most everything seems to work like this:
- Obvious parody one is the Time of Yoshis, which mocks most transformation stories by simply setting it all up in the wrong kind of place.
- The Eagleland Project is a deconstruction of the overwhelming boring idea of how a city should look in a game, by making everything a bit more colorful and interesting.
- But at the same time, it reconstructs much of the past Sim City games, by making the buildings look more iconic and "center of attention" as opposed to the landscape.
- The Deep South: Born and raised in Oklahoma, this troper is bound to get this stereotype.
- Arthur (the dragon) is going to have a some kind of southern accent, but it will be hard to tell because it's mostly in vowel sounds (for instance, "route" is pronounced the same as "grout").
- Development Hell: I've come up with so many ideas, yet very, VERY few of them will ever come to fruitation, like the game "Cleaning Machine" or "Eagleland Adventures".
- Granted, they may come back, but it all depends.
- Die for Our Ship
- Draco in Leather Pants: You could say this about Dark Cynder and Mantis, but then again, Cynder still has her evil desires observed and Mantis is just showing off sexy spider design.
- Eagleland: There's so much overflow of patroitism for the USA that I'm surprised nobody has complained.
- The Eagleland Project, full stop.
- But the Corrupted buildings draw influence from British Victorian buildings!
- Liberty the eagle, Mattie's team-mate and friend... She wears a red, blue, and silver space-suit.
- Hopefully Stephen doesn't get wind of this...
- The Eagleland Project, full stop.
- The '80s: Seems like everything got stuck in this time. The Eagleland Project is though, a Shout-Out to most of the ideas of that time.
- '80s Hair: Everyone has long flowing manes and big ass bangs.
- Elevator Action Sequence
- Even the Guys Want Him: Arthur gets this, despite being straight and liking Ericka.
- Mr. Fanservice: Arthur, Skillar, and Sirius (being the only original males at the moment) fufill this trope.
- Esoteric Happy Ending: Always Parodied, usually using "It was just a bad dream" kind of situation.
- Everythings Smellier With Skunks: Subverted and parodied with Sophie Mills, who doesn't stink or spray all the time and has a long fluffy tail to pet...
- Everything Is Big in Texas: Clera, as a mix of Southern Belle and '90s Anti-Hero.
- The Trinity building set is mostly based on midwestern modern building designs, most of which come from Texas and Oklahoma.
- Mattie Siccortail might get this generalization, since most don't know a whole lot about the Oklahoman state bird.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: The general idea that I use in whenever I want to create a video game. Standard enemies range from worms, hamsters, exploding mailboxes, exploding trashcans, lazar-firin' and hugry billboard signs, apes, crazy people, abstract art, Deviant Art members, blobs, aliens, squirrels, smilin' objects, perverted security cameras, and maybe even some fat mammals, giant robots, flying toasters, and William Shatner as a boss...
- You're a bastard, maybe it was a good thing Cleaning Machine never came to fruitation...
- Fan Dumb: Yes, Sairain MIDI has actually developed one, or so I think.
- Fetish Fuel: EVERYONE is bound to be used for some weird stuff. Actually, there's not enough weird fan art though to actually warrant that this trope could be in work or not, but fans have said about fantasies...
- Funny Animals: Pretty much everyone.
- Furry Fandom: VERY OBVIOUS
- Game Mod: The Eagleland Project for Sim City 4 Deluxe.
- Game Music
- Genius Bruiser: Arthur
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Very few things have done this..
- Halloweentown: Sort of a cleaner, more Schizo Tech version with the Eagleland Project's Corrupted building set. Considering your color scheme is black (main), gray, white, red, maroon, and burgundy (and windows are tinted red), and it's a fusion of Victorian, Post Gothic, and "Dragonconic" styles, and usually has darker sounding names, it's designed to be somewhat creepy, yet it still plays out nicely with the other sets, and seems to look good next to a purple house that's next to a blue one that must have come from outer space...
- Hello, Nurse!: Darla pulls this one on Wolf in the Starfox fan-fic.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Ericka to Arthur.
- Ink-Suit Actor
- I Wish It Were Real: Oh no you fucking don't...
- Large Ham: I AM THE PRINCE OF DARKNESS!!!
- WARNING: FLYING ROBOT DINOSAURS AHEAD THAT SHOOT BEAMS WHEN THEY ROAR. From the forums of here no less...
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Most of them females (although a few more males are planned to be made), all spanning mostly the feathery and scaly variety.
- Mascot: Arthur
- Medium Awareness: Arthur, Darla Mare, Annie Swellow to some degree, and some of the Wonderful World of Joe Pokemon are very much aware they are in a story, and will often talk much about it.
- Memetic Mutation: Many, MANY of them were created or spoofed. Most notable is "YOU MUST PAY WITH YOUR LIVES", which never came from a Sairain MIDI work but instead from a very gory story that was read and was constantly over-quoted.
- It's such SERIOUS BUSINESS.
- Ms. Fanservice: Debateable as there are many female characters to choose from.
- The Minnesota Fats
- New-Age Retro Hippie: Annie Swellow plays up to this trope.
- '90s Anti-Hero: Clera O'Donnell follows somewhat, but more in looks and attitude than anything.
- Nightmare Fuel
- No Fourth Wall: There hasn't been one installed ever, nor might there ever be one.
- The Danish Dragon Arise prolouge does have a solid fourth wall, but, after Arthur grew up and gained better control of his powers, he's able to communicate some with the readers, often more for comfort than actual comedy.
- The human Arthur though as read in What is This Nightmare Fuel and The Problemsome Plush does in fact, communicate with the reader constantly and often more for comedy or for reavaling his Genre Savvy to the rather dumb Mike. Some of the other characters in the world due acknowledge the lack of the Fourth Wall, and will make jokes and even make fun of the story. Guest characters (such as Peter) never even realize there is no divison between the reader and the characters of the story.
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: Toyed with. Reptiles, birds, arachnids, insects, and even the anthro plants all have breasts, but you'll find no nipples. Likewise, the mammallain nipples are almost non-present either.
- No Purple Dragons: The Eagleland Project avoids this in the standard Sim City modding fare, in which light density zones aren't allowed anything over 20 occupants/50 workers, medium isn't allowed anything over 800 occupants/500 workers, and dense starts at were medium density's cap ends. However, the architectural loophole abuse is still present as any other modding project in Sim City is. For instance, a tiny apartment for 4 typical small nuclear families (2 adults, 3 kids), is actually a five story miniature tower, with the first floor as a commons area, meaning that you can get a skyline of some sort from a light density zone with buildings of these type.
- Of course, taking into account as to how big a family or workforce would be in Real Life, some of these wouldn't be exaggerations. A large middle class house of the Eagleland Project holds 14 people at the most, where as a high class mansion holds 16 maximum.(if you consider that the rich folk have a butler, nanny, and groundskeeper living with them and their family in this case). Apartments flatten the value that each apartment "house" can hold a maximum of 8 or 5 people regardless of wealth (since we're trying to avoid Unfortunate Implications with low income housing). Commercial services employ the number of people based on job type as opposed to building size. For instance, a local gas station (no matter what the wealth) will always employ 8 people, even if the building was 24 meter x 24 meter 3 story structure because in Real Life, most chain gas stations are ran by 1-4 people during a shift, not including the manager. It also works within the same line with commercial offices, but the buildings have to be bigger to handle the numbers of workers. A simple branch bank doesn't quite need as much space as opposed to a video game developer studio, which has to have room for all the various workers and conference rooms to discuss deals with other job types..
- Nostalgia Filter: A bit of an unusual case here; the 90s sucked and the 80s were better, even though I didn't grow up in the 80s.
- Nostalgic Music Box: Both played straight and "mimicked" with the Electric Piano no.1 (or Yamaha XG Chorous Piano 1) in which it is nicknamed Earthbound Electric as a shout-out to Suzuki's use of Electric Pianos in the Mother series.
- Older Than They Think: Along with mixing with the Artifact Title, Sairain MIDI has been around for about over 5 years now, not 2 like some think.
- Orchestral Bombing
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Parental Bonus
- Playing the Heart Strings
- Pec Flex:
- Power of Love
- Public Domain Soundtrack: You can find music of Sousa, Joplin, and some others on the Sairain MIDI website as cover tunes.
- Reality Is Unrealistic: Uh, since when were houses purple?
- Recurring Riff
- Retro Gaming
- Retro Universe: Sairian MIDI is pretty much full of them:
- The entire dragconic world is still stuck in the 1890s in terms of fashion and architecture.
- The Eagleland Project is designed to recreate a city that looks like it's in the year 1985 in terms of architecture, considering that Trinity's Zeerust is specifically 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s modernism, with the Corrupted set using a hybrid of Schizo Tech and Victorian England in it's design (Legendary is pretty normal, outside of being purple, and Genric is idealized 1950s architecture). However, there's computer stores, video game retailers that sell Wiis, and internet cafes for all building styles.
- All powered by convexity.
- Scare Chord
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism
- Synthesizeritis: Very early music works just plan sucked to be honest. I've come a long way from those though...
- The Smurfette Principle: Very much averted if even present at all.
- Southern Belle: Clera has the sassy and arrogant nature of one, but doesn't quite look like it.
- Stripperiffic: All the characters who aren't human fall to this, but it's all Justified considering that less clothing on a dragon means less chance of catching fire, or less clothes mean less of a weigh down for a crocodile who's a life gaurd. The space animals though run it without justification though, but no one's complaing about it.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: Depends on your thoughts of the ArthurxEricka love/romantic scenes if it isn't scary scaly love.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Arthur, Skillar, and Sirius. However, Arthur may be too beefy and muscular to qualify.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!: Quite interesting, as the change from clumsy looking gradient meshes to easier (and more eye pleasing) vectors has turned off quite a few members of the fandom.
- Two Girls and a Guy: Arthur, Ericka, and Ashley.
- Vanity Plate: The Sairain MIDI logo works like this.
- We Sell Everything: For the Eagleland Project, there's a whole section of store types amptly called "Wel Sell Everything", most notable name is Dave's Mart.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: Seriously, don't let you little brother or sister see anything coming off the Sairain MIDI hotplate... and don't let them read The Time of Yoshis just because it occurs in the Super Mario Bros. Universe.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Parodied. The Eagleland Project does have some buildings that have these for their names, but since most businesses would apply this in Real Life, it's somewhat null.
- Uncanny Valley: Poser-Cheesecake-Krystal-by-CharleyFox Sophie Mills.
- Uncle Pennybags: King Rothgar may fall under this in some cases.