- Actor Allusion:
- Dawson Casting: While Paige is a month younger than Sheldon, Mckenna Grace is two years older than Iain Armitage, and it definitely shows in "Bible Camp and a Chariot of Love." Though it's not too far fetched, since girls typically start puberty a few years before boys do and it is often implied both in this show and in The Big Bang Theory that Sheldon was a late bloomer.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Iain Armitage is a natural blond, but dyes his hair brown to look like Sheldon.
- Irony as She Is Cast: "Summer Sausage, a Pocket Poncho, and Tony Danza" has Missy convincing George to take her to Red Lobster, and she loves the experience. Missy's actress, Raegan Revord, is a vegan in real life. Perhaps alluded to in "A Live Chicken, a Fried Chicken and Holy Matrimony", where Missy becomes upset that the Sparks' are going to kill their pet chicken Matilda, and steals her, along with trying to stop her family from eating fried chicken. It's possible that the character is on her way to becoming vegan also.
- Dueling Dubs: There are two Hungarian dubs. One for HBO, and another for Comedy Central. Máté Szabó reprised his role as adult Sheldon in both dubs.
- The Other Darrin: Justified Trope as this is a prequel.
- Real-Life Relative: Sheldon's mother Mary is played by Zoe Perry, the real-life daughter of Laurie Metcalf, who plays the present-day version of the character on The Big Bang Theory.
- A partial example with Debbie Wolowitz's voice cameo in the season 2 finale, which is a combination of archived audio of the late Carol Ann Susi and new dialogue recorded by Pamela Adlon, who voiced Halley Wolowitz in Big Bang. note
- In the Latin Spanish dub, Luis Alfonso Mendoza, who voiced the narrator/adult Sheldon, was murdered after season 2 aired.
- Real Song Theme Tune: "Mighty Little Man" by Steve Burns. Yes, that Steve Burns.
- Recast as a Regular: Lance Barber previously guest starred on The Big Bang Theory as Leonard's old school bully Jimmy Speckerman, then was cast as George Cooper on Young Sheldon.
- Voice-Only Cameo: In "Teenager Soup and a Little Ball of Fib", Kaley Cuoco voices the pool water in Sheldon's nightmare.
- Where the Hell Is Springfield?: Medford is a fictional town, somewhere in East Texas. It sounds similar to Bedford, a suburb in the DFW Metroplex. However, Sheldon mentions that his phone number is in the 409 area code, placing it nearnote Huntsville, Lufkin, or Beaumont. This makes sense, as its mentioned that Sheldon lives about an hour away from Rice University, which is in Houston.
- In the episode "Carbon Dating and a Stuffed Raccoon," there's a scene where George Sr. drives Sheldon out of Medford along U.S. Route 59, which also runs through Houston. They're headed to the "Natural Science Museum of Texas," which is supposedly in Houston.
- You Look Familiar: Sheldon's father George Sr. is played by Lance Barber, who'd previously played Leonard's childhood bully Jimmy Speckerman on The Big Bang Theory.
- Sheldon's music teacher was also in The Big Bang Theory as Mandy Chow.
- Vernee Watson, known as Althea on TBBT, once again portrays a sassy nurse in this show as well.
Trivia / Young Sheldon