- Breakaway Pop Hit: The soundtrack exposed a few songs, most notably The Cardigans' "Lovefool" and the choral version of "Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)" (nowadays known as "Wear Sunscreen").
- Cast the Runner-Up: John Leguizamo auditioned for Mercutio before being cast as Tybalt.
- Dawson Casting:
- Originally the 14 year old Natalie Portman was cast as Juliet, but the director thought that the much older Leonardo DiCaprio looked like he was "molesting her", so the 16-year old Claire Danes was hired instead. Danes was only three years older than Juliet.
- Leonardo DiCaprio was 21 when he filmed this. Assuming Romeo's friends are supposed to be of similar ages to one another, keep in mind that Harold Perrineau (Mercutio) was 33.
- Hostility on the Set: Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes did not get along during filming. Danes felt that DiCaprio was a nuisance and "very immature" because he pulled pranks on crew members and generally had a "goofball attitude." DiCaprio felt that Danes was stuck-up and too serious. Tellingly, they rarely spent time together off-set.
- List of Films You Should See By the Age of 14: #37
- Star-Making Role: For DiCaprio and Danes, at least before Titanic (1997) really pushed the former to superstardom.
- Throw It In!:
- After Friar Lawrence suggests the marriage idea Romeo starts to run out of the church and crashes into a lamp. This was a genuine accident that was left in as it added to the energy of the scene.
- The Dramatic Wind during Mercutio's death scene were actually the winds from a hurricane that was approaching the beach where they were filming (which ultimately destroyed the entire Sycamore Grove set). The actors agreed to go out and film the scene even though it meant getting sand blasted into their faces.
- Unintentional Period Piece: This is a very 90s movie, stylistically and visually.
- What Could Have Been:
- Neil Patrick Harris was considered for Romeo.
- Aaliyah, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Christina Ricci, Alicia Silverstone and Kate Winslet were considered for Juliet. Gellar's commitment to All My Children interfered, and Hewitt was considered too youthful-looking.
- Christian Bale, Ewan McGregor and Sam Rockwell auditioned for Mercutio before Baz Luhrmann decided to make him black.
- Benicio del Toro was considered for Tybalt.
- Marlon Brando expressed interest in playing Father Laurence, but personal family problems took him out of the running.
- Claire Danes and DiCaprio were going to be reunited in Titanic (1997), but Danes was too tired after shooting, so the part of Rose went to Kate Winslet instead.
Trivia / William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet