- Breakaway Pop Hit: The soundtrack exposed a few songs, most notably The Cardigans' "Lovefool" and the choral version of "Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)" (nowadays known as "Wear Sunscreen").
- Dawson Casting:
- Originally the 14 year old Natalie Portman was cast as Juliet, but the director thought that the much older Leonardo DiCaprio looked like he was "molesting her", so the 16-year old Claire Danes was hired instead. Danes was only three years older than Juliet.
- Leonardo DiCaprio was 21 when he filmed this. Assuming Romeo's friends are supposed to be of similar ages to one another, keep in mind that Harold Perrineau (Mercutio) was 33.
- Hostility on the Set: Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes did not get along during filming. Danes felt that DiCaprio was a nuisance and "very immature" because he pulled pranks on crew members and generally had a "goofball attitude." DiCaprio felt that Danes was stuck-up and too serious. Tellingly, they rarely spent time together off-set.
- List of Films You Should See By the Age of 14: #37
- Star-Making Role: For DiCaprio and Danes, at least before Titanic (1997) really pushed the former to superstardom.
- Unintentional Period Piece: This is a very 90s kinda movie, stylistically and visually.
- What Could Have Been:
- Neil Patrick Harris was considered for Romeo.
- Aaliyah, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Christina Ricci, Alicia Silverstone and Kate Winslet were considered for Juliet. Gellar's commitment to All My Children interfered, and Hewitt was considered too youthful-looking.
- Christian Bale, John Leguizamo, Ewan McGregor and Sam Rockwell auditioned for Mercutio before Baz Luhrmann decided to make him black.
- Benicio del Toro was considered for Tybalt.
- Marlon Brando expressed interest in playing Father Laurence, but personal family problems took him out of the running.
- Claire Danes and DiCaprio were going to be reunited in Titanic (1997), but Danes was too tired after shooting, so the part of Rose went to Kate Winslet instead.
Trivia / William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet