- The Cast Showoff: Cage does a pretty impressive job with his authentic-sounding covers of Elvis songs.
- Completely Different Title: French -> Sailor and Lula
- Contractual Purity: Laura Dern broke her "no nudity" clause for the film. Stating she felt comfortable with director Lynch and that the love story warranted it.
- Real-Life Relative: Diane Ladd and Laura Dern are mother and daughter in Real Life.
- What Could Have Been:
- Lynch was originally attached only as a producer, but after reading the novel he decided to write and direct it himself, not liking the book's ending and wanting to improve it.
- The premiere cut of the film received an NC-17 rating from the MPAA. Since Lynch was contractually obligated to deliver an R-rated film, he re-cut the shotgun sequence to add a gun smoke effect to obscure the character's head exploding.
Trivia / Wild at Heart