- Actor Allusion:
- Holly's old standup comedy tape in "Dangerous Liasons" is the actual routine that got Bynes hired for All That back in the day.
- The same episode Holly says this kid should have her own show.
- Val and Todd's backstory in the same episode is a 90210 plot; Todd is played by Luke Perry.
- In the Season 4 episode where Holly and Val's father returns as Barry Bostwick, this time gay, he and the entire cast sing the Grease song, "Summer Nights". Bostwick was the first Danny Zuko in the original, 1973 Broadway production.
- The Cast Showoff:
- Dawson Casting: Averted, as Amanda Bynes was the same age as Holly in the first season, and Jennie Garth is only two years older than Val is supposed to be. Wesley Jonathan is borderline, being closer in age to Garth than Bynes despite playing the latter's best friend. Tina meanwhile is meant to be the same age as Holly, but Allison Munn is actually the same age as Jennie Garth (a potential Teen Pregnancy being a minor plot point in her debut episode no less).
- Hide Your Pregnancy: Jennie Garth was pregnant for half of the first season. They resorted to the usual tactics - shooting from the chest up, having her sitting down a lot etc.
- The Other Darrin: Mr. Tyler was played by Peter Scolari in the pilot; when he came home to visit twice in the last season, he became Barry Bostwick. And gay.
- Promoted to Opening Titles: Leslie Grossman from Season 2 onwards. Michael McMillan initially in Season 2, but he's back to recurring in Season 3.
- Real Song Theme Tune: And Titled After the Song to boot. The theme song used Lillix's cover of the song.
- Throw It In!: The season 1 gag reel suggests that Bynes does this a lot.
- Write Who You Know: Ben writes a romantic song about Holly and then a mean one after they break up. In the second one ("Holly Tyler Sucks"), he changes her name to "Molly Myler" when he performs it in public.
- You Look Familiar: A couple former Beverly Hills, 90210 actors say this to Val.
Trivia / What I Like About You