- Actor Allusion: Max von Sydow is at home with this material.
- Box Office Bomb: Budget, $85 million. Box office, $71,382,927. The film received mixed reviews which derided its "morose sentimentality," and "insubstantial plot" but praised its elaborate, Academy Award winning Visual Effects.
- Creator Backlash:Richard Matheson: I will not comment on What Dreams May Come except to say that a major producer in Hollywood said to me, "They should have shot your book." Amen.
- Creator Killer: Director Vincent Ward saw his career stuck in purgatory for seven years.
- The Danza: An odd variation. Annabella's character is only ever named Annie by the other characters, except that Chris's nickname for her is Bella (which means "beautiful" so it works as a pet name between lovers, but seems too coincidental to be an accident).
- What Could Have Been:
- Annette Bening was originally cast to play Annie. She opted out and Annabella Sciorra replaced her.
- Ennio Morricone originally did the score. Though completed, it was rejected and Michael Kamen replaced him.
- No long after Robin Williams died, Mara Wilson was interviewed about his life, mentioning that she had auditioned unsuccessfully for the role of Marie, but was considered too old for the role. She related that she had for the first time really seen the shyer, more reserved and vulnerable side of Robin when they met at the audition.
Trivia / What Dreams May Come