- Actor Allusion: In one of the Swedish episodes, Wallander is talking to the coroner Karin Linder about the possibility that the victim may have drunk himself to death, and gives her a sly look as he refers to death by alcohol poisoning as "Finnish suicide". Stina Ekblad, who plays Karin, is a Swedish-speaking Finn.
- Author Existence Failure:
- Johanna Sällström's sudden suicide in 2007 caused Henning Mankell to scrap a book trilogy starring her character, Linda Wallander, after writing only one volume.
- Narrowly averted with Henning Mankell himself. Despite succumbing to lung and throat cancer in 2015, Mankell completed the main Wallander storyline in advance.
- Creator Breakdown: Henning Mankell was so distraught by Johanna Sällström's suicide in 2007 to the point that he shelved plans for a trilogy of books about Linda Wallander.
- Fake Nationality: The British TV series features a mostly-British cast playing Swedes, most notably Kenneth Branagh as the titular Kurt Wallander.
- The Other Darrin: Invoked for the third and final season of the Swedish TV series due to Johanna Sällström's suicide in 2007. Linda Wallander is now played by Charlotta Jonsson.
- What Could Have Been: There was going to be a trilogy of books featuring Linda Wallander. After Johanna Sällström's suicide, however, the project was cancelled.
- You Look Familiar: A Swedish nationalist that Branagh's Wallander shoots dead is played by Fredrik Gunnarsson, who is in the Swedish version as Officer Svartmann!
Trivia / Wallander