- Author Existence Failure: Adrienne Shelly died in 2006, months before the movie's release and a decade before the musical came out.
- Subverted with Andy Griffith who died five years after Waitress's release.
- Cut Song: Bareilles released a whole EP of cut songs from the musical in 2019 called What's Not Inside: The Lost Songs From Waitress.
- Descended Creator: In the musical, Music and Lyric Writer Sara Bareilles succeeded Jessie Mueller as Jenna and headlined the 2021 Broadway revival production.
- In Memoriam: The film is dedicated to Adrienne Shelly, but you better be paying attention during the closing credits to notice.
- Inspired by
/Write What You Know: Adrienne Shelley revealed in her final interview that came up with the film's idea during the last month of her pregnancy.
- The five-minute date scene was inspired by real-life dates that Adrienne went on.
- Dr. Jim Pomatter's last name is a hybrid of three Yankees players (Jorge Posada, Hideki Matsui, and Derek Jeter respectively)
- Real-Life Relative:
- Adrienne Shelley's husband appears at Dawn's wedding reception, her daughter Sophie plays Lulu at two years old in the last scene when Jenna inherits Joe's diner. and Adrienne's mother has a briefly appearance as a contestant when Jenna wins first place in the pie contest along with Sophie's real-life nanny.
- Producer Todd King's oldest son plays a bratty boy named Hunter and his youngest two appear in the final minutes of the movie and his daughter Mackenzie plays a flower girl in the aforementioned wedding scene.
Trivia / Waitress