- Box Office Bomb: Budget, $90 million. Box office, $49,323,468 (domestic), $122,823,468 (worldwide).
- Creator Killer: Director Mick Jackson's cinematic career was burned alive by this film bombing; he never directed another major cinematic film. It also set writer Billy Ray's career back by 5 years.
- Dueling Movies: With Dante's Peak. Both were released months apart in early 1997. Volcano is basically Armageddon to Dante's Peak / Deep Impact.
- Making Use of the Twin: A girl who is placed in triage care and Tommy, who is being babysat by Kelly are both played by twins.
- Unintentional Period Piece:
- The scene near the beginning with West Side and Beverly Hills residents protesting a subway expansion along Wilshire Blvd, along with the film's implication that the subway tunneling was what caused the Volcano in the first place is tied up in the Los Angeles politics of the 90's, since the then-under construction subway was a major hot-button issue at the time.
- The film's portrayal of racial tensions in post-Rodney King Los Angeles, particularly the ending scene where the ash makes it impossible to tell the color of anybody's skin, mark it as a product of a period throughout most of the '90s when racial issues were at the forefront of national discussion.
Trivia / Volcano