- Dawson Casting: All of the teenage characters are played by actors in their twenties.
- No Budget: Made for a mere million dollars, with virtually all of the camerawork done with GoPro cameras mounted on laptops and watermark-free screen recording software.
- The Producer Thinks of Everything: All of the main characters have real-life Facebook accounts. The video leading to Laura's suicide can also be actually viewed on YouTube...where it was, at one point, taken down for violating its guidelines on bullying, even though it was staged!
- Unintentional Period Piece: Inevitably, but Tropes Are Not Bad. All the computer programs used are real, giving the movie a fairly realistic feel, even though the technologies used will inevitably be updated beyond the point of recognition and/or phased out at some point.
- What Could Have Been: Many of the death scenes in the movie are different from their first versions.
- Ken: The death itself stays the same, but between the Skype cut and the death, Blaire would have tried to contact him through his Facebook page, but Laura would have interfered with trolling.What's fat and red and white all over? Ken in a blender.
- Adam: He would have been possessed, and led to walk on the road (the camera kept following him) until he got rolled over by cars.
- Jess: She'd have been flung against the walls of her room until she died. The screen would have been blocked by her Facebook page, where the same happens to her avatar, with heavy doses of Painting the Medium (and of gore).
- Blaire: No closing the laptop for a Jump Scare. She'd have screamed one final time (the same scream at the end of the trailer, actually) before the laptop hit a fatal error, frozen on her horrified face.
- Ken: The death itself stays the same, but between the Skype cut and the death, Blaire would have tried to contact him through his Facebook page, but Laura would have interfered with trolling.
- Working Title: First Offline, then Cybernatural - the former was rejected for being too vague, the latter for being too on-the-nose.
Trivia / Unfriended