- Absentee Actor:
- Season 1: Jane Krakowski missed 5 episodes. Carol Kane missed 4 episodes.
- Season 2: Jane Krakowski missed 4 episodes. Carol Kane missed 2 episodes.
- Actor Allusion:
- Xanthippe surprises Kimmy with a tap on the shoulder and Kimmy exclaims "Ga-LU-la!" Xanthippe is played by Dylan Gelula.
- The Reverend claimed to have created the "Buy the world a Coke" commercial. In season 2, Cyndee needlessly reminds Kimmy who she is by saying they "put a mad man in jail together."
- Astronauts played by Ian Roberts just can't get a break.
- Coriolanus says a line of pseudo-French in the Season 3 premiere. James Monroe Iglehart had recently become the regular actor for Lafayette in Hamilton.
- Titus' fake boyfriend name in "Kimmy is a Feminist!" is D'Fwawn, a character he played on 30 Rock.
- In Season 4, Jon Bernthal guest stars as an agent for Mr.Frumpus pretending to be a fan of Titus after seeing him on Daredevil. Jon Bernthal played The Punisher on Daredevil before getting his own series.
- Cast the Expert: In the season 3 premiere, the Sesame Street producer/puppeteer who tries to seduce Titus with a puppet is played by Bill Barretta, an actual Muppeteer.
- The Cast Showoff:
- The show really takes advantage of the fact that Titus is played by actual Broadway veteran Tituss Burgess by having him sing a good number of times, showing off his impressive singing voice.
- Carol Kane, also a Broadway veteran, sings with Tituss Burgess in "Kimmy Gives Up!"
- Jane Krakowski very briefly gets to show off her impressive singing voice in "Kimmy Gives Up!"
- Casting Gag:
- Titus is played by Tituss Burgess, who originated the role of Sebastian in the Broadway production of The Little Mermaid. In one episode he not only calls Kimmy "Ariel" but we're also introduced to his Sitcom Arch-Nemesis Coriolanus Burt, who is played by James Monroe Igleheart, who originated the Genie in the Broadway production of Aladdin (and sings a snippet of "Under the Sea" during "Never Had a Friend Like Me", to boot). Titus also got a Cease and Desist order from Disney for performing a ripoff of the Broadway version of The Lion King.
- Reverend Richard, the man who spent 15 years filling Kimmy's head with his trash, is played by Jon Hamm, Ellie Kemper's drama teacher.
- Channel Hop: The show was originally set to premiere on NBC for the 2015 midseason. Then it was announced that Netflix bought the show's rights and ordered two seasons before the show even began proper production. This deal was regarded as an incredibly Genre Savvy move by the show's producers as NBC's comedies have been struggling to engage audiences and the move to Netflix allows an entire season to be available at once rather than broadcast weekly and potentially be yanked due to flagging ratings.
- The Danza: Tituss Burgess plays Titus Andromedon (né Ronald Wilkerson).
- Fake Nationality:
- Jane Krakowski plays her typical rich, vain, self-deluded blonde, but with the comedic twist that she's really a middle-class Native American woman passing as white.
- Ki Hong Lee, a Korean-American, plays Dong, a Vietnamese-American.
- Irony as She Is Cast: Daveed Diggs, one of the original stars of Hamilton, plays a terrible rapper.
- What Could Have Been: A brief, walk-by cameo from Kenneth from 30Rock was planned at some point, but scheduling conflicts prevented it.
- Written-In Absence: Jacqueline's storyline in Season 3 was very obviously affected by how little time David Cross was able to give to the show, ultimately only appearing in one episode before Russ is "smushed" and spends most of the season covered in bandages, before coming back out as a different actor.
Trivia / Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt