- Actor-Shared Background: Ben Affleck has well-documented alcoholism issues since about 2016, and he plays a man who's struggling to get out of it. This might have been intentional.
- Box Office Bomb: Budget, $21-25 million. Box office, $14,690,514. This Ben Affleck sports drama received very good reviews, but was one of many films released in March 2020 to flop due to coming out around the same time as the outbreak of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- The Danza: Brandon Wilson as Brandon.
- Production Posse: Gavin O'Connor and Ben Affleck previously worked together on The Accountant.
- Release Date Change:
- The film was previously scheduled to be released on October 18, 2019 before being moved to March 6, 2020.
- The film did come out in theaters, but the COVID-19 Pandemic caused theaters to shut down worldwide at the same time, so Warner Bros. made the movie available on video on demand earlier than normal, just a couple of weeks after it hit theaters.
- Similarly Named Works: There's a 2010 film titled The Way Back, about a group of people escaping from a Soviet Gulag during World War II.
- Working Title: The project was first announced as "The Has-Been".
Trivia / The Way Back (2020)