- Acting for Two:
- Paul Wesley is portraying Stefan, one of the three central protagonists. In Season 4, it's revealed Stefan's ancestor is Silas and he is Silas' doppelganger. It's revealed in Season Five, there is one other doppelganger of Silas' alive in the present day, Tom Avery, an innocent paramedic.
- Acting for four in Nina Dobrev's case. She portrays Elena the protagonist, also Katherine a villain and one of the major antagonists. In Season Five Nina Dobrev also portrays Amara, the original Petrova, and Elena and Katherine are her doppelgangers. On the spin-off, she portrays Tatia in flashbacks to the 10th century and Katherine' is her doppelganger.
- Actor-Shared Background: Katherine is originally Bulgarian, as is Nina Dobrev.
- Dawson Casting: The mostly teenage cast is played by actors in their 20s, making some casting choices downright bizarre. The actors who play the Gilberts are only one year apart, starting with Nina Dobrev (20), Steven R. Mc Queen (21), and Sarah Canning (22). And to top it off, Whitley Gilbert (48) a grandma?!
- This is made extra weird by the casting of John Anders (born 1981) as Elena's father, John Gilbert. Isobel, who is supposed to be younger than him even without being a vampire, is played 35-year-old Mia Kirshner.
- Justified in the case of Jasmine Guy as "Grams" Sheila Bennett; she's meant to have preternatural longevity as a witch. Stefan mentions first meeting her at a protest rally in the 60s, though he's not sure she would remember. She did.
- Fake American:
- Fake Nationality:
- Hostility on the Set: Nina Dobrev admitted that she and Paul Wesley "despised each other" their first few months of shooting, which was ironic because they were playing love interests. They smoothed it out sooner than later.
- McLeaned: Alaric was killed shortly before it was announced that The CW would pick up a new show starring his actor.
- Reality Subtext: Damon and Bonnie start out as enemies then become uneasy allies then Vitriolic Best Buds. In some ways, this reflects how their actors Ian Somerhalder and Kat Graham didn't initially get along but then became close friends.
- Romance on the Set:
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev.
- Candice Accola and Steven Mcqueen also dated but their characters were never really involved with each other. In fact, he's the only male main character (excluding Enzo) that Caroline didn't date.
- Paul Wesley's wife Torrey DeVitto plays Meredith Fell. After they divorced he also started dating Phoebe Tonkin.
- What Could Have Been:
- Originally, the 4th-season-spanning cure storyline was supposed to resolve with Damon being the one to receive the cure. However, almost immediately after introducing the cure as an idea, the writers were dismayed to find that a large number of fans were predicting that very outcome. So they changed mid-course, and the cure was instead given to Katherine.
- A deleted scene reveals Kelly Donovan, Matt's mother, as a succubus.
- Nina Dobrev was only able to come back for the series finale, forcing the second half of Season 8 to be heavily rewritten to not have Elena (or Katherine) come back until then.
- Had Nina Dobrev never left the show, the series would eventually have ended with Stefan and Elena hooking back up.
- The Wiki Rule: The Vampire Diaries Wiki.
Trivia / The Vampire Diaries