- Actor Allusion: In several Flashback scenes, we see Nicole babysitting for Billy's kids. In Exotica, the previous movie by Atom Egoyan, Sarah Polley was also hired to babysit for Bruce Greenwood's kids, or so it seemed.
- Approval of God: Writer Russell Banks, who wrote the novel the film was based on, said he thought the film was better.
- Creator Cameo: Russell Banks appears as Nicole's doctor.
- Dawson Casting: Sarah Polley was 18 years old playing 15 year old Nicole.
- Fake Nationality: Mitchell Stephens (Canadian) is played by Ian Holm (English).
- Production Posse: In addition to Greenwood and Polley, Maury Chaykin, David Hemblen, Arsinee Khanjian (Egoyan's wife), and Gabrielle Rose had all appeared in previous Egoyan films.
- What Could Have Been:
- Donald Sutherland was originally cast as Mitchell Stephens, but dropped out at the last minute.
- Paul Gross auditioned for Billy Ansel but was passed over because, in Atom Egoyan's words, "he's too good-looking."
Trivia / The Sweet Hereafter