- All-Star Cast: Michael Caine, Katharine Ross, Richard Widmark, Olivia de Havilland, Patty Duke, Fred MacMurray, Slim Pickens, Henry Fonda...
- Box Office Bomb: Budget, $11.5 million to $21 million. Box office, $7.6 million. This didn't last more than two weeks in theaters, and was the first of three disaster disasters that blew apart the career of Irwin Allen.
- Creator Killer: Irwin Allen was a prolific TV producer in The '60s thanks to sci-fi hits with Lost in Space and The Time Tunnel. He soon became a force to be reckoned with in The '70s, populating the Disaster Movie craze with The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno. The success of both films earned Allen the nickname The Master Of Disaster. This film turned out to have been a disaster in a different context. Allen tried to recover by attempting to capture the same magic with Beyond The Poseidon Adventure, but that too was a critical and commercial dud. Finally, he attempted to recover with When Time Ran Out..., but its failure was so great it not only killed his theatrical career, but the genre he helped popularize. Allen returned to TV and remained there until his 1991 death.
- Genre-Killer: Though the '70s disaster movie boom would continue for a couple more years, this was widely seen as the film that indicated that the genre was becoming totally burnt out. On top of that, its box-office failure was a big factor in changing the way studios approached summer movies — The Swarm had nearly twice the budget of Star Wars, but spent almost all of it on the actors' salaries and resulted in the rest of the production looking like a glorified TV movie.
- Money, Dear Boy: Michael Caine and Lee Grant have both said in their autobiographies (What's It All About? and I Said "Yes" to Everything) that they did the film purely for the money. In Caine's case, he was planning to move from London to Los Angeles, and used his salary for the film to buy a house.
- Old Shame:
- What Could Have Been: John Williams was originally set to score this. But his usually on-point This Is Gonna Suck radar kicked in.
Trivia / The Swarm