- Fan Nickname:
- What Could Have Been: In the original draftnote , Kaladin received a Shardblade in the first chapter, quickly befriending Adolin and rising through the ranks of Dalinar's army. He promptly became the most boring character in the book.
- The original draft also had Renarin be the one to write the diagram.
- Amaram was originally a duel shardblade wielder. He would eventually become one again in Oathbringer in the main series.
- Sanderson also made a big change in Oathbringer because he found the original book a bit to dark with Dalinar being the one to kill Elhokar rather than Moash.
- A small rewrite also happened with Words of Radiance after it was printed. In the first print Kaladin accidentally hits Szeth in the spine with his shardblade instantly killing him. It was rewritten instead so Szeth's hand holding the honour blade was cut and he died in the high storm. This was done as according to Sanderson it opened up a plot hole later down the line.
- Oathbringer was meant to be Szeth's book rather than Dalinar's originally. This was changed during the outline stage of the book.
- Rhythm of War was originally meant to be Eshoni's book. This was changed to be both Eshoni's and Venli's book during the first draft.
- A Cosmere wide example as the original book didn't have the Shattered Planes. Those were on Yolen.
- Word of God:
- Dalinar was the first character Sanderson came up with for the series, and he "is the soul of the series, for me."
- Rhythm of War includes the first scene Sanderson imagined for the series and another scene is one of the first he imagined for the Cosmere.
- Sanderson created Lift partly because he thought there weren't any Hispanic characters in fantasy. That's, er, not quite true... though in fairness, thirteen-year-old Hispanic girl street urchin knights are a bit short on the ground.
- The Alethi would all identified as Asian to people on our world.
- Shardblades can't cut through aluminum.
- In the same vein surgebinding can't effect aluminum.
- Renarin is on the autism spectrum.
- The extras who names are sometimes mentioned who keep surviving the bridge runs and fights in bridge 4 are all based on Brandon's friends.
- Tien was going to be a Lightweaver before he died.
- Iyatil is from Silverlight and has heritage from Southern Scadrial.
Trivia / The Stormlight Archive