- California Doubling: Averted. The show takes place in a small town in Connecticut, and it's filmed in the New England area Lancaster, Massachusetts, to be precise.
- Corpsing: In Episode 5 when Luke and Grizz discuss having real handcuffs to arrest Dewey, you can see Kathryn and Jose trying to hold in their laughter.
- Disabled Character, Disabled Actor: Sean Berdy, who plays Sam, really is deaf.
- Fake American: A good number of the main cast (Natasha Liu Bordizzo, Olivia DeJonge, Alex Fitalan, and Toby Wallace) are all Australians playing Americans (Helena, Elle, Harry, and Campbell respectively).
- Name's the Same: The character Sam Eliot is just one letter off from the same name with the actor.
- Playing Against Type: Kathryn Newton who is known for portraying more feminine characters portrays the tomboy Allie Pressman.
- Screwed by the Network: Despite positive critical and audience reception, it was not renewed until a couple months after its premiere; as it was, Spring 2020 was the earliest time to accommodate filming. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic resulted in shooting being suddenly delayed just a few days before it was scheduled to begin. The show was originally planned to begin shooting again in the fall, but Netflix abruptly cancelled the show instead. It's speculated that the increased production costs due to COVID-19 combined with the show's large cast put it high on Netflix's cancellation list. None of this, however, was apparent to the cast and crew so the decision came off as a huge shock to both them and audiences (quickly inciting a massive fan backlash online, with Netflixs social media sites being flooded with spam posts demanding the cancellation to be reversed). While some saw the show as a simple victim of pandemic circumstances, many more blamed the delay in renewing the show, as well as Netflix's tendency to constantly start new original series (meaning The Society had to compete for budget with many shows that haven't even premiered).
Trivia / The Society