- Deleted Scene:
- Bart watching a show with Krusty.
- Homer at a guided tour at the University.
- The three nerds accompany Bart to school, where they get beat up.
- Technology Marches On:
- This was the first episode to reference the Internet, as Marge hears "crazy noises" on her phone. Back then, Internet connection used phone lines and modems. Modems are still used for wired connections, but dial-up (which is what would make those crazy noises) is a thing of the past.
- Bart and Lisa's missing the episode where Scratchy finally gets Itchy; it would have been difficult, though probably not impossible (see Keep Circulating the Tapes) for them to find another copy of the episode at the time when this story first aired. Nowadays it'd be a minor inconvenience at most, as most video streaming and torrent sites would be inundated with copies moments after Krusty announced that they'd never show the episode again (unless the animation company was very damn tough and thorough blocking the streaming... and then again, maybe they would just sell it themselves after sitting on it for a while as a Missing Episode... unless they decided to keep it "missing"...).
- Throw It In!: Homer's line "S-M-R-T, I mean S-M-A-R-T" was actually a flub by Dan Castellaneta, but the creators felt it was too perfectly in-character for Homer to fix.
- Trope Namer;
- Write Who You Know: Conan O'Brien based Homer's three nerdy tutors on a trio of nerds who lived in his dorm when he was at Harvard. He said he remembered that they would drop phone books on the floor at night so that girls who lived on the floor below would come up to complain wearing their nightgowns.
Trivia / The Simpsons S5 E3 "Homer Goes to College"