- Development Gag: Mr. Burns mistakenly calls Bart "Brat". Although Matt Groening named the whole Simpson family after his own, he gave his Author Avatar the name "Bart" because it was an anagram of "brat".
- First Appearance: Lenny, Marvin Monroe, Lou, and Eddie.
- This is the first time we see Mr. Burns' mansion (though with a much different appearance from what would be standardized on).
- Out of Order: When The Simpsons finally premiered in the UK terrestrial television - BBC One, to be exact - on 23 November 1996, it ended up being the first shown episode, as opposed to "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire". Previously, the Simpsons was available in the UK on the Sky1 cable network, starting on 2 September 1990, with the first episode shown the mid-season "Call of the Simpsons".
- Recycled Script: Resembles "Family Therapy", a Tracey Ullman Simpsons short which aired a year before this episode. While none of the gags from the short are reused, the basic plot (the Simpsons visit a family therapist, only to find they are incurable, and bond over this instead) is the same.
- Technology Marches On: Homer looks forward to spending the $500 he got from Dr. Monroe on a 21" television.
Trivia / The Simpsons S1 E4 "There's No Disgrace Like Home"