- Box Office Bomb: Budget, $46 million. Box office, $10,382,407.
- Creator Killer: For Roland Joffe; it combined with his previous film Super Mario Bros. to end his main relevance in cinema.
- Real-Life Relative: Demi Moore's real-life daughters, Scout and Tallulah, played infant Pearl and little Pearl, respectively.
- Real Life Writes the Hairstyle: While viewing a scene during production, Demi Moore so disliked the way her hair looked that she insisted the scene be re-shot, at her own expense.
- What Could Have Been:
- First Ennio Morricone, then Elmer Bernstein both wrote scores for the movie, but were rejected in favor of one by John Barry.
- Word Of God has it that Bernstein wrote to Demi Moore, thanking her for his score's rejection, claiming it could be used in a better film. (It was Moore's idea to hire Barry after his work on Indecent Proposal).
- Meg Ryan lobbied hard for the part of Hester Prynne. Sharon Stone was also considered.
- Richard Gere, Anthony Hopkins, Daniel Day-Lewis and Liam Neeson were considered for Rev. Arthur Dimmesdale.
Trivia / The Scarlet Letter (1995)