- Banned in China: The film was initially banned in South Africa for two years.
- California Doubling: While the location of the city is unsaid, it is easy to suppose that it's on the United States. The whole film was made in Sydney, Australia.
- Direct-to-Video: The film had some trouble to make it into the theaters in the US, and it was eventually only released on video.
- Disowned Adaptation: Compared to the other two Punisher films, Marvel Comics isn't too fond of the film, and doesn't list it under their "Movies" section on their website, a distinction it also shares with Fantastic Four (2015).
- Dyeing for Your Art: Blond haired Dolph Lundgren dyed his hair black for the titular role.
- No Stunt Double: Dolph Lundgren did most of his own stunts.
- What Could Have Been: Christopher Lambert was director Mark Goldblatt's first choice for the role of Frank Castle. But Lambert injured his ankle, and was unable to accept the role.
Trivia / The Punisher (1989)