- Acclaimed Flop: The film was well received by critics, including Roger Ebert who placed it in his "Great Movies" list, and praised Nicholson's performance but earned $29 million internationally from its $35 million budget.
- All-Star Cast: Jack Nicholson, Robin Wright and Aaron Eckhart are the well-known actors that have more screen presence. The rest of the cast are One-Scene Wonder: Benicio del Toro, Mickey Rourke, Vanessa Redgrave, Helen Mirren, Harry Dean Stanton, Sam Shepard, Patricia Clarkson and Tom Noonan.
- California Doubling: British Columbia, Canada serves as a replacement for Nevada, USA. Though only a few scene exteriors were filmed in the actual state of Nevada.
- Creator Couple: Robin Wright was Sean Penn's wife at the time the film was made.
- Playing Against Type: Tom Noonan appears as a Sinister Minister that speaks to Lori's daughter and Jerry thinks he might be the villain he was looking for. Though it is later revealed that he is a Red Herring and a genuine reverend. Apparently, Sean Penn wanted to film more scenes to demonstrate the trope but Executive Meddling didn't want to spend money on extra scenes after the failure of Battlefield Earth.
- Real-Life Relative: Sean Penn's mother, actress Eileen Ryan, has a small role as Jerry's (Nicholson) secretary.
Trivia / The Pledge