- Completely Different Title: In Sweden, the film was called "Mannen utanför lagen", meaning "The Man Outside the Law".
- The German title was "Der Texaner", meaning "The Texan".
- Creator's Favorite Episode: Clint Eastwood named this as his favourite film of his own.
- Dawson Casting:
- Josey Wales is 32 years old in the novel, while Clint Eastwood was 46 at the time of the film's release.
- Laura Lee is 22 years old in the novel, while Sondra Locke was 32 at the time of the film's release.
- Directed By Castmember
- Real-Life Relative: Clint's son Kyle Eastwood played Josey's son.
- Romance on the Set: Clint Eastwood and Sondra Locke became an item while making this movie.
- Those Two Actors: This was the first of six movies that Clint Eastwood made with Sondra Locke.
- Uncredited Role: Michael Cimino and Phillip Kaufman worked on the script uncredited.
- Wag the Director: In a weird way, the Trope Maker. Early in filming, Clint Eastwood decided that he could do a better job than the original director, Philip Kaufman, was doing. He therefore arranged for Kaufman to be fired and took over the directorial duties himself. This disgusted the Director's Guild of America enough that they created a new rule stating that whenever a film's director is fired, their replacement has to be someone with no previous connections to the film. This is why, nowadays, actors are forced to Wag the Director rather than just outright firing them and directing themselves. More commonly they just hire someone willing to take orders.
Trivia / The Outlaw Josey Wales