- Distributor Hop: A24 acquired the film from former distributor Alchemy due to the latter company's bankruptcy.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Colin Farrell gained 40 pounds and grew out a mustache in order to play David.
- Playing Against Type: Colin Farrell usually plays tough, sexy leading men, while here he plays an overweight, weak and fairly pathetic man.
- Sleeper Hit: No one thought a bleakly funny, absurdist art movie like this acquired from a defunct distributor that initially planned a VOD release would make as much money as it did.
- What Could Have Been: Jason Clarke was set to play David, but later had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts.
Trivia / The Lobster