- Acting for Two: Tom Lincoln and Lincoln Six Echo. Technically, Sarah Jordan and Jordan Two Delta, though the Calvin Klein advertisements featuring Scarlett Johansson weren't specially shot with The Island in mind.
- Name's the Same: As a 2006 Pavel Lungin film whose title, Ostrov, translates to The Island.
- Playing Against Type: A meta-example for Michael Bay. Compared to his other films this one is relatively light on the action (relatively - there are definitely action scenes), has some decent atmosphere, and the characters and plot are better developed, though recycled from Clonus. All in all it's not entirely the usual popcorn schlock he's infamous for.
- Unintentional Period Piece: The use of MSN Messenger and the original X-Box logo pretty much dates this futuristic sci-fi thriller.
- What Could Have Been:
- Scarlett Johansson was willing to go topless for Lincoln and Jordan's sex scene, but Michael Bay vetoed it to maintain the film's PG-13 rating."She wore her bra to bed! What is she, French?"
- Jordan was originally going to be called Ester and become pregnant.
- Michael Bay wanted Lincoln and Merrick's fight scene to be more spectacular, but the budget was running low.
- Scarlett Johansson was willing to go topless for Lincoln and Jordan's sex scene, but Michael Bay vetoed it to maintain the film's PG-13 rating.
Trivia / The Island