- Acclaimed Flop: Downplayed - it made triple its low $15 million budget, but it has the dubious distinction of being the least-attended film ever to win the Best Picture Oscar.
- Content Leak: The full film was leaked five whole months before its planned release.
- Critical Dissonance: Film critics praised it as a thoroughly-realistic depiction of the Iraq War. Iraq War veterans found it absurdly unrealistic. Make of that what you will.
- Dueling Movies: With Avatar, of all things. The media talk of the movies dueling was fueled, in part, by the fact that Kathryn Bigelow is James Cameron's ex-wife. There seemed to be a bit of behind-the-scenes drama going on in the fight to declare one of them Best Picture of 2009. (The Hurt Locker won.) Mostly over who'd grab the most Oscars. All that drama was just speculation, though, and Cameron is on record as praising The Hurt Locker, calling it "this generation's Platoon."
- Man Hug: The Today Show had Jeremy Renner and Anthony Mackie as guests when the 2010 Academy Award nominees were announced. When Renner's nomination for Best Actor was given, there was a cut to Renner and Mackie hugging each other. A little later, they showed the whole thing: Renner smiling, making a goofy "How about that?" face, and hugging Mackie.
- Also, when the film won Best Picture at the Oscars, the two took the stage with their co-star Brian Geraghty. While the producers were giving their acceptance speeches, the three actors could be seen behind them, arms around each other. They were positively giddy (with Renner even letting out a delighted scream).
- Retroactive Recognition: For those who hadn't seen the film before, Hawkeye and Falcon defused bombs.
- Star-Making Role: For Jeremy Renner and Anthony Mackie. Both were experienced actors and had major film roles (28 Days Later for Renner; 8 Mile for Mackie, among others), but this was the movie that put them on the A-List.
Trivia / The Hurt Locker