- California Doubling: Averted in that the movie was filmed in Paris, albeit on soundstages at the Boulogne studios. Medieval Paris does, in fact, no longer exist (save for Notre-Dame itself and a couple of churches and houses), especially since Haussmann's urban transformations.
- Completely Different Title: The movie was released in France with Hugo's original title, Notre-Dame de Paris, but in the Anglosphere as The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
- Dawson Casting:
- Anthony Quinn, Gina Lollobrigida and Maurice Sarfati, ages forty-one, twenty-nine and twenty-five, as Quasimodo, Esmeralda and Jehan Frollo, ages 16-20.
- Alain Cuny, age forty-eight, as Claude Frollo, age thirty-six. This is at least justified as the character is supposed to be Younger Than They Look.
- Fake Nationality: Most actors are French, but Esmeralda (a Gyspy who was not necessarily born in France) is played by the Italian Gina Lollobrigida and Quasimodo by the Mexican-American Anthony Quinn.
- Multiple Languages, Same Voice Actor: Lollobrigida and Quinn voiced their characters for both the French and English versions. The French cast, however, had to be dubbed into English.
Trivia / The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1956)