- Acting for Two: Benedict Cumberbatch also provides the voice of Sauron.
- Deleted Scenes: In most of the advertising and in all three main trailers, this shot of Azog◊ was prominently featured. For reasons that still aren't exactly clear, during re-shoots it was changed to Bolg. Doubles as What Could Have Been because had they kept it Azog, we could have had a fight scene between Legolas and Azog.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Benedict Cumberbatch, in his own words, ripped into [his] vocal cords quite literally, [he] had blood at the end of the day from tearing [his] throat to pieces. in order to get Smaug's voice right. The crew had to make a lot of "Gollum Juice" for him, a tea of honey, lemon and ginger, which Andy Serkis had created during the original trilogy when voicing Gollum.
- Enforced Method Acting: The actors playing Bard's kids weren't told where exactly the Last Black Arrow was hidden, so their reaction to Bard just whipping it out of its Hidden in Plain Sight spot was genuine.
- Meaningful Release Date: The movie was released in China on February 21 2014. In numbers without the year, the date will be 221. In Sherlock, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman live at 221B Baker Street.
- Writing by the Seat of Your Pants: Much of the Dwarves vs. Smaug scene at the end was filmed without any real idea of what they were trying to represent, because the decision had been made to make three films instead of two and they suddenly needed a cliffhanger. Only after shooting a lot of reaction shots and running around did Peter Jackson have the idea of them using the foundries to try to smother Smaug in gold.
Trivia / The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug