- Ability over Appearance: In the book, Meyer Wolfsheim is described as being a small, White man. In the movie, the character is portrayed by Amitabh Bachchan, who stands at six feet and is Indian, was selected for the part based on his acting ability.
- Creator Backlash: Carey Mulligan has since revealed that she's not a fan of her own performance in this movie, believing that the huge scale of the project overwhelmed her at the time. After completing it she decided to focus on smaller films that would be more likely to have smaller and more tightly knit casts and crews.
- Dawson Casting: Carey Mulligan (26), who played Daisy in a flashback when the character was 18.
- Fake American: Jordan, Tom, Myrtle, Catherine, Dan Cody, and George are classic American characters played by Australians. Daisy is played by Carey Mulligan who is British while Wolfshiem is played by Bollywood actor, Amitabh Bachchan.
- Reality Subtext: Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire have been good friends since the '90s. This is reflected in Nick's loyalty to Gatsby.
- Release Date Change: Original release date was December 2012, which was then moved back to July 2013, and then finally rescheduled for May 2013.
- Separated-at-Birth Casting: The actors who play young and teen Gatsby actually look and act very convincingly like Leonardo DiCaprio.
- What Could Have Been:
- Jessica Alba, Abbie Cornish, Eva Green, Rebecca Hall, Anne Hathaway, Scarlett Johansson, Keira Knightley, Blake Lively, Rachel McAdams, Natalie Portman, Amanda Seyfried, Olivia Wilde and Michelle Williams were considered to play Daisy Buchanan.
- Ben Affleck was offered the role of Tom Buchanan, but had to turn it down due to scheduling conflicts with Argo. Bradley Cooper and Luke Evans were considered.
Trivia / The Great Gatsby (2013)