- Actor Allusion:
- When Fred Thompson guest starred in one episode, his client referred to him as The DA as he played one on TV and his character referred to actually passing the bar before going into acting, which Fred Thompson actually did.
- The show takes place in Cook County, Chicago, the same county as Cook County General Hospital, the setting of ER, where Julianna Margulies played Nurse Carol Hathaway.
- In "KSR", Dr. Portnows wife, a clinical psychiatrist, is an obvious Expy of Leonard Hofstadters mother, played by Christine Baranski, who plays Diane.
- One episode when Peter Florrick is running for State's Attorney has a minor kerfuffle blow up over Alicia's brother Simon turning up on not-YouTube saying he thinks Peter doesn't like him for being gay. Eli goes to Peter asking if he has a problem with homosexuality and Peter mistakenly thinks Eli is coming out to him, saying he couldn't care less if Eli was gay. Eli's actor Alan Cumming really is bisexual.
- Completely Different Title:
- Cantonese 法妻 -> Law Wife.
- Fake American: Scottish-born (now a US citizen) Alan Cumming playing Eli Gold. Also Londoner Archie Panjabi playing Kalinda Sharma (though her in-universe nationality remains unknown, and she's shown to have an English husband).
- Hostility on the Set: A notorious example was the dislike between Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi during the later seasons, which led to them refusing to be on set together to the point that a pivotal scene in the show's finale had to be created using green-screen.
- McLeaned: When Josh Charles decided to leave, Will was killed off suddenly in a courtroom shooting.
- Playing Against Type:
- Miranda Cosgrove guest-starred as Sloan, a Lindsay Lohan-esque singer.
- To lesser extent, Sarah Silverman is a host of an Ashley Madison-esque site.
- Wallace Shawn's role as Charles Lester is far more sinister than the neurotic characters that he's been known to play.
- Michael J. Fox as an unscrupulous lawyer willing to use his disease to manipulate juries. Probably one of the only outright Jerkass characters that Fox has played in his career.
- Matthew Perry was also willing to avoid playing it safe by taking on the role of slimeball Mike Kresteva.note
- Word of Saint Paul: Mike Colter, who plays Lemond Bishop, said on the After Buzz videocast that Bishop got his MBA before going into the drug dealing business. He simply saw the drug game as the best place to use his skills.
- Written-In Infirmity: Michael J. Fox plays a lawyer with a neurological disorder (tardive diskinesia, rather than Fox's own Parkinson's, but close enough) which he plays up to gain sympathy from jurors he argues in front of. This backfires against a paraplegic judge in one episode: the judge basically says, "Yeah, so what?" and tells him to get on with the case.
Trivia / The Good Wife