- Acting for Two: Sam Underwood plays Creepy Twins Luke and Mark.
- Actor Allusion: This isn't the first time a character played by Nico Tortorella was killed by his girlfriend.
- Divorced Installment: The show began life as Kevin Williamson's script for Scream 3, which would've focused on a "fan club" for the Woodsboro killers and the Stab movies seeking to become famous. Years later, he dusted off his old idea, removed all references to Scream, and created a TV show out of it.
- Dueling Shows: With the CW's Cult, and also NBC's Hannibal.
- I Knew It!:
- A lot of fans guessed that Carroll was still alive before they even showed him in the season two promos. They were right.
- Likewise, many fans were proven correct when Claire turned up alive in the middle of Season 2.
- Money, Dear Boy: Kevin Bacon decided to star in a television series because he and his wife, Kyra Sedgwick, needed the income after they lost a large amount of money in the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme.
- Playing Against Type: Most of Kevin Williamson's previous works are teen-oriented fare, not super-dark murder mysteries.
- Running Gag / Rule of Three: Meta-example with Annie Parisse (Agent Parker) since this is the third crime drama she was killed off of.
- Too Soon: The first season got hit with this twice. The premier was pushed back after the Sandy Hook Shootings. And then the Boston Marathon Bombing caused the nearest-occurring episode to be put on at an irregular hour.
Trivia / The Following