- Acting in the Dark: The actors playing the jury weren't given scripts, so they weren't aware how the case would turn out.
- California Doubling: The movie was filmed in Vancouver, though vaguely set in America. Word of God is that he wanted to make the movie seem like it could take place anywhere.
- The Cast Show Off: The filmmakers saved a lot of money on special effects when Jennifer Carpenter pointed out she could do all those weird poses herself.
- Dawson Casting: Emily is an eighteen-year-old college student. Jennifer Carpenter was twenty-five.
- Enforced Method Acting:
- Jennifer Carpenter kept herself in a room full of mirrors for hours to prepare for the role - testing out the various faces and poses she would use.
- She also was told to watch The Passion of Joan of Arc to prepare for one scene.
- Executive Meddling: Dr Cartwright was supposed to have a heart attack. The studio however wanted the death to be more dramatic.
- Fake American: Tom Wilkinson is British playing the American Father Moore.
- What Could Have Been: The movie was originally supposed to be a period piece, but the budget constraints convinced the director to have the story take place in modern times.
Trivia / The Exorcism of Emily Rose