- All-Star Cast: Nearly everyone is someone recognizable - Aaron Eckhart, Hilary Swank, Stanley Tucci, Delroy Lindo, Bruce Greenwood, Tcheky Karyo, Alfre Woodard, Glenn Morshower...
- Box Office Bomb: Budget, $60 million. Box office, $31,186,986 (domestic), $73,498,611 (worldwide).
- Creator Killer: Director Jon Amiel didn't make another movie until the end of the decade.
- Creator's Apathy: In an interview with Hilary Swank she actually said "Since no one knows what the center of the Earth really looks like, we can make up all sorts of stuff." At least the writer managed to reject the Executive Meddling calling for dinosaurs Beneath the Earth.
- Executive Meddling: In the comments to a rant by David Brin about the movie, one of the six writers, John Rogers, tells the sordid tale. For the sake of those who don't want to bother, it's basically summed up with this: "... This, by the way, is why screenwriting pays so well. They don't pay me to write. I'd write for free. They pay me NOT to punch people in the neck." To give an example of a thing the executives said to him: "John, we really like this last draft, but one thing bugs us. The whole idea of the north and south pole switching places — it's WAY over the top and unbelievable."
- Follow the Leader: Described in some promotions as Armageddon, but "down".
- From Entertainment to Education: Inverted. The film is allegedly used as viewing material by NASA with instructions for trainees to note down as much of the Hollywood Science used by the movie as possible.
- Old Shame: Aaron Eckhart isn't particularly proud of this movie.
Trivia / The Core