- Beam Me Up, Scotty!: What Lancey actually says is, "You're real good, Kid, but as long as I'm around, you'll always be second best."
- Dawson Casting: The titular kid is played by the 35 year-old Steve McQueen.
- Follow the Leader: It's probably not an accident that this story is basically "The Hustler with cards".
- The Other Marty: Sharon Tate was replaced in the film by Tuesday Weld after Sam Peckinpah was fired by producer Martin Ransohoff.
- Wag the Director: The rather gratuitous fight scene in the film was added at the instigation of Steve McQueen who had it written into his contract that he feature in an action scene.
- What Could Have Been:
- Spencer Tracy was originally cast as Lancey but had to drop out due to health problems and was replaced by Edward G. Robinson.
- There had been talk about Cary Grant taking the role of Lancey Howard.
- The film was to be directed by Sam Peckinpah but, shortly before production began, he was fired by the studio over his insistence the movie be shot in black-and-white and for filming an unauthorized nude scene.
- Paddy Chayefsky was originally signed to write the screenplay.
Trivia / The Cincinnati Kid