- Acting for Ten: The current clone count in Orphan Black, though the exact number who count as main characters may vary to different people. There are several others in the background, but they mostly qualify as Posthumous Characters and don't have much if any screen presence. That's also not mentioning Pupok the scorpion, who she both voiced and did 'the sound effects' for.
- Dawson Casting: Thanks to her diminutive stature and youthful features, Maslany convincingly played teenagers well into her late Twenties.
- Doing It for the Art: See Method Acting below.
- Fake Nationality: In Orphan Black, again. Sarah and Rachel are English; Katja is German; Helena is Ukrainian; Cosima, Jennifer, and Krystal are American; M.K. is Finnish.
- Method Acting: To help with getting into/staying in character for each distinctive Orphan Black clone, Maslany employs techniques including dance and music playlists. Notably, she and her stunt double actually underwent waterboarding for a season three episode, albeit with medical professionals on standby.
- Plays Great Ethnics: A particularly noteworthy example, given just how many of them she plays in a single series.
- Star-Making Roles: Orphan Black, which is an unusual case because it's not just one role, but like most examples is still one series. (In her native Canada, while she wasn't super-famous, she wasn't obscure like she was internationally)
- Typecasting: She probably had the best Star-Making Role ever in order to avert that.
- What Could Have Been: She's been attached to two separate Star Wars films (Rogue One and The Last Jedi), but both times she had to drop out due to scheduling conflict. She almost had the role of Jyn in Rogue One, which was given to Felicity Jones.
Trivia / Tatiana Maslany