- Dawson Casting: Ernie Reyes Jr was 21 playing 16. Kelly Hu was 25 playing a character assumed to be around the same age. Rob Schneider was twenty eight.
- Mid-Development Genre Shift: The movie was originally envisioned as a straight action-adventure film in the vein of Indiana Jones. After Dan Gordon, the original writer and director, was fired, the new creative team did rewrites on the script and turned it into a goofy comedy.
- Playing Against Type: One of Leslie Nielsen's few villainous roles.
- Real-Life Relative: Ernie Reyes Jr.'s father Ernie Reyes Sr. plays Zatch.
- Unintentional Period Piece: The slang and hairstyles now date the movie as a product of the nineties.
- Working Title: Surf Warriors.
Trivia / Surf Ninjas