- Ascended Fanon: Toggleable ON/OFF switches to make blocks solid or not have been a mainstay in Super Mario World ROM hacks for years. With this game, they officially become part of the series. (ON/OFF switches existed in SMW but had a different function, while a switch that functions the same way existed in Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for the Game Boy Color but did not use the ON/OFF sprite.)
- Fan Nickname:
- The Angry Sun in the New Super Mario Bros. U style doesn't look very angry, prompting a name you may have heard from at least a few fans: the Indifferent Sun.
- The Angry Sun's new moon counterpart is officially just called "Moon" but is often called the Happy Moon by the fandom due to its smiling face in comparison to the Sun's angry scowl.
- Meme Acknowledgement: The Switch's News bulletin for the announcement of Super Mario Maker 2 references the game's addition of slopes after the first game's infamous lack of them:Create the Super Mario courses of your dreams in the brand-new sequel to original Wii U game. In this game, players will have access to even more tools, items and features. Just watch your step: those slopes can be steep.
- Milestone Celebration: Like how the original celebrated the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., this game celebrates the same anniversary for Super Mario Land by bringing back the Superball Flower, complete with Super Mario Land music and turning your player greenish-monochrome.
- What Could Have Been:
- In the Super Mario Maker 2 Direct, a new, orange palette of the Super Mario Bros. 3 underground was shown, but was changed back to blue before release.
- The Twister◊ (the "enemies" that blow you upwards) was originally designed◊ differently◊, looking more like Foos. This design was seen in the reveal trailer in the February 2019 Nintendo Direct, but was changed afterwards for unknown reasons. The original design isn't present in the final game's data, so what it looked like in the Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario 3D World styles remains a mystery.
Trivia / Super Mario Maker 2