The 2009 film
- Fake American: Russell Crowe as Cal McAffrey.
- Hostility on the Set: Russell Crowe and Rachel McAdams did not get along on-set.
- Production Nickname: Brad Pitt nicknamed the film State of Delay after being stalled on it.
- What Could Have Been:
- Brad Pitt and Edward Norton (Fight Club) were set to reunite in the film when it was first being written. Pitt pulled out because of a scriptwriters' strike in Hollywood, and Norton signed onto another movie.
- Nicolas Cage, Johnny Depp and Tom Hanks were considered for Cal McAffrey after Pitt dropped out.
- Jessica Chastain auditioned for a role.
- Kevin Macdonald considered asking Bill Nighy to reprise his role of Cameron, but decided to make the character a female instead. Helen Mirren was then cast.
- Martin Campbell, Brian De Palma, Jim Jarmusch, Ang Lee and Richard Linklater were asked to direct.