- The Other Marty: David Rappaport was originally cast to play Kivas Fajo; however, after a few days of filming, Rappaport attempted suicide, forcing the director to recast the role with Saul Rubinek and reshoot the scenes with Rappaport that were already done. Rappaport's scenes were ultimately released as a bonus feature in the Season 3 Blu-Ray set.
- Trailers Always Spoil: The original On the Next trailer is one of the show's worst, revealing Varria offering to help Data and getting killed when neither event happens until the last five minutes of the episode.
- What Could Have Been:
- The director wanted to have the sets for Fajo's ship designed with David Rappaport's 3'11" height in mind, forcing all the other actors to hunch over or walk on their knees. Rick Berman immediately dismissed this idea as being impractical (if not just plain stupid), which ended up proving all the more important when Rappaport had to be replaced by 5'7" Saul Rubinek.
- As slimy as Rubinek's take on the character was, Rappaport's was downright chilling.
- In a scene present in the script but not the final episode, Fajo sends Varria to test Data's sexual abilities (in which Data references his only sexual encounter from "The Naked Now"). However, Data learns of Fajo's intent, leaving Varria utterly humiliated, which would later fuel her desire to betray Fajo in the climax.
Trivia / Star Trek: The Next Generation S3E22 "The Most Toys"